Is a sim card needed in the phone before I start setting it up?

I

iMore Question

Is sim card needed in the phone before I start setting it up?

Is sim card needed in the phone before I start setting it up?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Silly question, but should I insert a sim card before I set up iphone 6SPlus?

Yes or it won't go past activation screen

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Silly question, but should I insert a sim card before I set up iphone 6SPlus?

No it is not required. You can set up the phone to run off Wi-Fi. You can fully activate the phone just not the cellular part of the settings.

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Silly question, but should I insert a sim card before I set up iphone 6SPlus?

I just bought a 6S Plus, but this being my first iOS device I'm not switching my cellular service yet until I'm sure I want to stick with it. That was the plan anyway. Since I bought it outright at the Apple store without activating it I can't get past the activation screen because there's no SIM in it. I'm going to try setting it up through iTunes, otherwise it'll be another trip to the Apple store for me today.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I just bought a 6S Plus, but this being my first iOS device I'm not switching my cellular service yet until I'm sure I want to stick with it. That was the plan anyway. Since I bought it outright at the Apple store without activating it I can't get past the activation screen because there's no SIM in it. I'm going to try setting it up through iTunes, otherwise it'll be another trip to the Apple store for me today.

You should be able to set it up using iTunes. The process is pretty straight forward. Open iTunes, connect the iPhone via USB, and it should automatically launch the activation process for you. Good luck and enjoy your new iPhone!

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You should be able to set it up using iTunes. The process is pretty straight forward. Open iTunes, connect the iPhone via USB, and it should automatically launch the activation process for you. Good luck and enjoy your new iPhone!

I couldn't activate the phone. You NEED a SIM card in the iPhone to activate it, even with iTunes. I was on the phone with Apple Care and Verizon about it. Verizon can't do anything for me without the iPhone being activated with my phone number, and iMessages sucking up my text messages. All I want is to activate it to test out the UI/UX and some apps before committing, but I want to keep using my BlackBerry Z30 while I make my decision.

I think the best thing for me to do is convince one of my friends who already has an iPhone to let me borrow it to activate my new phone, since they won't be worried about iMessages taking their text messages (because it's already doing that). It's a bummer my new phone has been sitting here for 6 hours now at the "no sim card" screen. I guess I should've been more explicit with the Apple store employees about my plans or done more research, but I haven't heard of a phone not being able to be setup without a SIM card before.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I couldn't activate the phone. You NEED a SIM card in the iPhone to activate it, even with iTunes. I was on the phone with Apple Care and Verizon about it. Verizon can't do anything for me without the iPhone being activated with my phone number, and iMessages sucking up my text messages. All I want is to activate it to test out the UI/UX and some apps before committing, but I want to keep using my BlackBerry Z30 while I make my decision.

I think the best thing for me to do is convince one of my friends who already has an iPhone to let me borrow it to activate my new phone, since they won't be worried about iMessages taking their text messages (because it's already doing that). It's a bummer my new phone has been sitting here for 6 hours now at the "no sim card" screen. I guess I should've been more explicit with the Apple store employees about my plans or done more research, but I haven't heard of a phone not being able to be setup without a SIM card before.

Well that's a bummer. And my apologies; that hasn't always been the case and I hadn't heard that it could no longer be done. Hopefully you can get a friend to help you out. Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen