I have to use Google Hangouts if I want to have a group discussion with people using hangouts. But I can use Messages with someone using Hangouts if it's just one person. Why won't Messages support group chats with people on Google Hangouts. Essentially I would like to only have 1 message app open to handle all my chatting needs.
    11-13-2015 10:59 AM
    I don't know. Do you have MMS messaging and Group Messaging toggled on in Settings?
    11-13-2015 12:15 PM
    I do have those setting toggled on, on my iPhone, though I'm trying to make this work on my Mac, using the Messages App. I'm able to select 2 or more people in Messages, but when I try to send a message to the multiple recipients, nothing happens upon hitting enter.
    11-13-2015 01:47 PM
    11-13-2015 02:34 PM
    Hangouts can be set for SMS. I think if you want to use iMessages for a group chat with people on Hangouts, then each person would have to have Hangouts set to support Hangouts and SMS. iMessage would need the MMS and Group Messaging enabled as Ledsteplin mentions.

I have not tried this from iMessage or Hangouts, so can't verify if it works or not, but in theory sounds like it might work if the Hangouts SMS feature also support Group Messaging.
    11-13-2015 10:09 PM
    Hangouts can be set for SMS. I think if you want to use iMessages for a group chat with people on Hangouts, then each person would have to have Hangouts set to support Hangouts and SMS. iMessage would need the MMS and Group Messaging enabled as Ledsteplin mentions.

I have not tried this from iMessage or Hangouts, so can't verify if it works or not, but in theory sounds like it might work if the Hangouts SMS feature also support Group Messaging.
    I'm not sure how it would work on a Mac.
    11-14-2015 10:31 AM
    I think it might be possible to use iMessage from a Mac if SMS Relay/Text Message Forwarding is enabled on the iPhone since messages would go to the SMS user via the iPhone.
    11-14-2015 10:57 PM