Time required to update iPhone 5 to iOS 9.1 from iOS 7.1?

I

iMore Question

I am attempting to update my iPhone 5 to iOS 9.1. My phone is connected to my PC with iTunes opened to make the update. It is showing it will take 11 to 12 hours to complete. Is this normal?

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I think it is still an Apple 'server overload' situation. I had to make 4 attempts to update an iPhone 6 from iOS 9.0.1 to 9.1 ... Each started with "45 min" remaining but never got down to completion and 'timed out' at around 15 min left . The whole process has to be restarted. 5th try was successful , about 2300 Atlantic time last night. Internet here is slow ( about 6.5 -7 Mbps) which doesn't help. My second task was to do my wife's 6+ from again, 9.0.1 to 9.1 ..... Figures I'd keep right on going in the 'middle of the night' but no such luck. 2 timeouts then and 3 so far today ..... This is in Barbados, in the Caribbean, where Internet is mostly ADSL ... I may do her update OTA if this keeps up

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think it is still an Apple 'server overload' situation. I had to make 4 attempts to update an iPhone 6 from iOS 9.0.1 to 9.1 ... Each started with "45 min" remaining but never got down to completion and 'timed out' at around 15 min left . The whole process has to be restarted. 5th try was successful , about 2300 Atlantic time last night. Internet here is slow ( about 6.5 -7 Mbps) which doesn't help. My second task was to do my wife's 6+ from again, 9.0.1 to 9.1 ..... Figures I'd keep right on going in the 'middle of the night' but no such luck. 2 timeouts then and 3 so far today ..... This is in Barbados, in the Caribbean, where Internet is mostly ADSL ... I may do her update OTA if this keeps up

Hey, David! It took me about 15 minutes to update my 5 OTA. The same for my 6s Plus. You got that extra hammock ready?

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I actually have moved my afternoon camp out inside closer to fans etc as the patio simply gets TOO HOT in the after lunch period. It s a it better the last 2 weeks but it's been very still and thus 'stop you in your tracks' thick - so not much ha mocking lately !

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Finally in a marathon of attempts ( about 10 if anyone's counting) many involving 20 to 30 minutes downloading then a ?time out" and back to square one...I got the 6+ done today ....... What the whole experience leaves me wondering about is twofold - Why when the download times out and aborts , does the next attempt not start where the last left off, ?? i.e. You HAVE the data ... so why not continue on from what's there. I'd guess I downloaded at least 10 Gb to get the requisite 2.05 .......each time one starts afresh. And is part of the server overload issue in any way due Apples rapidly expanding customer base in Asia ? To be considered if the server capacity hasn't been increased accordingly, one must realize that demand doesn't drop in 'off peak times' of which based on a 24 hour world clock, with populated China being a full 12 hrs difference from eastern NA, means quiet time here is mid day there and so on.... Anyhoo .... Playing this game for 2 phones and an iPad since yesterday underscores that small incremental updates will be OTA in the future

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2