What to buy: New iPhone 6s or used iPhone 6s?

I

iMore Question

What to buy: New iphone 6s or used iphone 6s?

I currently have an iphone 5. For the most part it?s great; even after 3 years. ?I?m getting anxious to replace it though. The battery is pretty good for 3 years, but degrading some. Some days it?s just fine and lasts all day, but certain tasks drain it really quickly. Some more speed would be nice. I?m running ios 8.4 just fine; some lag when I switch home screens, but otherwise no major problems. Twitter sometimes is slow to refresh. Not sure if that?s an internet thing or the phone. Another reason to upgrade is the 32 gb is getting to be too small. I?ve had to scale back my music library. I?d like to be able to have the whole thing instead of a selection of playlists. The camera is the thing that has me most interested in upgrading. I?d love to get better picture quality.

I?m debating between a used iphone 6 or a new 6s. I could get a mint 64 gb iphone 6 for around $475 on swappa. ?or I could get a brand new iphone 6s, which will be over $800 after tax. I don?t love the idea of having a $800 item in my pocket. That makes a used item a little more appealing.

The camera appears to have better image quality, but not leaps and bounds better as I?d hoped. I was hoping it would be a notch above the Samsung s6, but it looks to come up short. I don?t blow up photos, so I don?t need the extra megapixels. I don?t care much about the live photos. The upgraded front camera is appealing. The extra speed and ram is definitely appealing. The 3d touch seems a little useful, but not sure it?s a killer feature.

What do you think is a better value? The iphone 6 does most of what the 6s does for a lot less. ...on the other hand, the 6s is an improvement and a year newer.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: What to buy: New iphone 6s or used iphone 6s?

Personal opinion:

If money is an issue, go for the used 6. If you NEED the features of the 6s, or you HAVE to have the latest gadget (like me), then get the 6s.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

If money were no issue, I'd get the 6s. You not only get a better camera, but live photos and 3D Touch. From what I've seen, the photos taken with the 6s are noticeably better than the 6. But I work with images a lot. I have over 40 photography apps. LOL

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

I think Best Buy will give you $200 on any smartphone traded in. That should knock it down enough for you to enjoy.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Usual word of caution when buying used: Buyer beware! Know who you're buying from and how to ensure it isn't a lost or stolen device. If it's locked, you will never get it unlocked. We see it every single day here in the forums.

Now, to answer your question. If money is an issue and you don't see a tremendous amount of value in the 6s compared to the 6, and you can be sure it's a good device, then go with the 6. If money isn't an issue then , well, always buy new.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Go with the latest for two reasons: 1. It is the latest and greatest and 2. The resale value will be higher in 1 to 2 years when you get a new iphone.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

What did you decide to go with? I think the ram upgrade along with 3D Touch and live pictures makes it well worth it. I am planning on keeping my 6s for a while.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73