I screwed up my El Capitan download

I

iMore Question

I was downloading El Capitan and ran out of disk space. No problem, I haven't done 'cleaning' lately, so I start dumping old video files, unused programs, etc. Also, without thinking I deleted my download folder.

Now the App Store thinks I have downloaded the file and will not let me download it again and nothing will load.

Any ideas?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you have enough space now to perform the download w/o interruption? If yes the App store under purchased will have all your apps and anything 3rd party that might have been in the download folder can be gotten from each dev of that app.
I would use an external HD from now using Time Machine and do regular backups.
D/Ling the file in your last sentence I don't fully understand so if you don't have enough info include the info with the last sentence.

carbondude

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
so I accidentally deleted the file used to install El Capitan. I had cleared enough room for the download to finish but it wanted more for the install (this was a few days ago so this is how i remember it, but I could have something else going on...), that is when I deleted the download file without thinking.

So, I went to download it again and the down load button says downloaded. I restarted my computer to try to clear the issue. Now under Purchases the button says downloaded. If I go to the App store page for El Capitan the button says download as I had hopped, but nothing happens when I click on it. By nothing I mean no indication of downloading. I do get the little activity swirl in the menu bar, but nothing else happens.

carbondude

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
That worked! Thanks! I looked in the applications folder for that but not close enough. I found it this time. The download has started. It should all go smooth from here...

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Go into your applications folder and see if you have a El Capitan installer. If so, delete it and then see if you can download it again. Another trying to try is to hold either ⌘ or ⌥ while clicking the download button. That may give you the option to download again.

Look at the Purchased tab of the Mac App Store. You can choose "download" again, whether it's installed, downloaded or neither.

View attachment 93928

That worked! Thanks! I looked in the applications folder for that but not close enough. I found it this time. The download has started. It should all go smooth from here...
Happy to hear the 3 of you helped each other to find a solution - Is why the one suggestion I made was Mac App Store. Good job guys.:)