What happened to my mail folders after downloading El Capitan?!

I

iMore Question

All of my sub-folders are gone in Mail after downloading E Capitan. Any ideas?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. All of my mail folders are present. Login to your email provider's website to see if the folders are present, and if so, try signing out or deleting the mail account from your Mac, and then reconfigure the account on it.

BryanBuff

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Don't fret! Same thing happened to me. Go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts, and then uncheck the "Enable this account" option and then re-check it. Your folder structure should be restored.

CorinaM

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Thank you ByranBuff, your instructions were awesome! You are brilliant and thanks to you I avoided a heart atack tonight:):p and I can actually get some sleep!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
It's threads like this that make me really love iMore. We have a great community here, people.

Kudos to you all. Kudos I say!

Bernard C Anderson

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
THANK-YOU for the tip:
"Don't fret! Same thing happened to me. Go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts, and then uncheck the "Enable this account" option and then re-check it. Your folder structure should be restored."
It worked for me!

DeevdT

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Thank you this fixed it for me too. I had folders from hotmail and icloud. Such a shame that apple doesn't test updates properly these days though - just like Microsoft.

gandjfrance

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
unchecking the enable this account and then rechecking it didnt work for me.
I still cant locate any of met folders, help would be appreciated.
Glenn

RealMarkster

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Bryan's fix did not work for me either. My mail folders are still at iCloud.com, on my iPhone, and iPad, though... just not my MacBook Pro.

Call Apple?

Last edited:

Sue Congemi

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
So simple so easy worked like a charm but sure had a hard time finding the solution... I was freaking out!!!
Thanks for the help
:biggrin:

Scooter1968

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Thank you! Unchecking and then checking "enable this account" worked great. It was immediate and worked - unlike the recommendation I found in Apple Help!

tariqz118

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Great mate, thanks. Works perfect after unchecking and checking the "Enable this account" option. BryanBuff you are a top man! :):smile: