How do I include an usb3 attached external hard drive with wireless time capsule backups?

I

iMore Question

Hi, I have an external hard drive attached to my iMac via usb3. I also use time capsule to backup my iMac wirelessly. I want to include the usb3 connected external hard drive in my backups, but I don't see a way to do this. Am I missing something?
Thank you for your help.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have an external hard drive attached to my iMac via usb3. I also use time capsule to backup my iMac wirelessly. I want to include the usb3 connected external hard drive in my backups, but I don't see a way to do this. Am I missing something?
Thank you for your help.

In the TimeMachine settings, there is an option to SELECT DISK ... and when you add a new drive to an existing configuration, you should see the options to REPLACE the existing drive or just ADD the new drive. If you add the new drive, as I understand it, TM will alternate between devices when doing the backup.

rfoutz

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes, this is my question. When I open Time Machine, and go into the options, my external hard drive is listed as 'do not include in backup'. It does not allow me to remove it from this exclude list. My external hard drive is formatted exFAT. If this is a wrong format for Time Capsule, what other format can I use that could be read with both Mac and PC?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73