Stored Names when sending text message, why aren't the names staying on the screen?

I

iMore Question

Stored Names when sending text message

In iOS8, when sending a message, the receiver's name would stay on the first screen for future messages. That does not happen in iOS9 - at least on my iphone and ipad. The initial screen stays blank until either typing a name or searching the numerous prior names list.

Is there a setting to correct this, or is it a known bug.

A somewhat related rant: it's unfortunate that YEARS of prior text contacts cannot be removed outside of reinstalling the phone. Would have hoped that was an iOS9 fix.

Thanks

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Stored Names when sending text message

Do you mean the last person you sent a text to? So, if I send my daughter a text and haven't gotten one or sent one to someone else when I open the messages app our conversation with her name at the top is there. It's still like that for me on both iPhone and iPad. Have you tried a reboot?

As to your second question, you can go to settings>messages>message history and choose whether you'd like to keep messages for 30 days, 1 year or forever. I think forever is on by default. I've never had an issue deleting messages by sliding to left and hitting delete. Are you storing them in the cloud and maybe they're restoring themselves?

jeff_in_gh

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Stored Names when sending text message

Perhaps my query was not clear.

In iOS8 when you sent a text message to someone, you would hit the compose icon in the top right corner of the screen. You would enter their name and type your message. <send> Pressing the Messages button in the upper left corner would take you back to the main Messages screen, where their name would remain until you Edit > Select > Delete. Otherwise the list of "someones" would continue to grow. In iOS9, those "someones" are deleted and you have to reenter their name again next time you want to send them a message.

As to the second part of the question, again probable misstatement; having nothing to do with message retention; rather contact retention. When I go to compose a text message like above, there are deleted contacts from 3-4 years ago (many whom bring up bad memories). There have been a lot of similar observations. Apparently the only solution is to completely reset the iPhone or Pad and start over - not from a backup. My comment was a hope that iOS9 would have cured that problem.

Hope that helps clairify my loose wiring!

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Stored Names when sending text message

Hmm, I'm sorry I couldn't help. I usually only use the compose new and search when I enter from the photo app and have never really noticed. In my head it's always been blank but I couldn't say for sure.

Again, can't help with the contacts either since I have not stored on my phone for quite a few years. I wouldn't want to start all over either.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative