iPhone 5c won't ring.

twilite2000

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
A friend of mine has an iPhone 5c running 8.4.1. This is her first apple product and first smartphone. She hates it and I feel terrible because I've always loved my apple products. Her problem is her phone doesn't ring letting her know she has a call. It's always done this. I looked at her phone and when the screen is on her phone will ring. When her screen is off it won't ring. I checked her settings and everything seems in order. One thing I did change (and don't ask me why I changed it since she does even have it turned on) was in DO NOT DISTURB under "allow calls from" she had checked "favorites" and I checked it to make it "everyone". I didn't think this would make a difference, but when I turned off her screen and tried calling her several times her phone rang. I think that it was a fluke because I checked my phone and it's set to 'favorites" and my phone always rings and I also don't use DO NOT DISTURB. What could be causing her phone not to ring? Her phone is 2 years old, she doesn't have apple care and the nearest Apple Store is 2 1/2 hours away. I suggested finding a certified Apple repair person here, but she doesn't have the money to repair or replace her phone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless I misunderstood, you stated that her phone rang after you made some changes regarding the DND feature. If so, the consider the problem solved. Anyway, it could have been a number of things.
  • volume was just too low
  • mute switch enabled.
  • No notifications set for the phone
  • wireless carrier issue
  • other things
If the phone is still not ringing when she receives a call and all of the above has been checked, then she may want to restore her device and set it up as new.

twilite2000

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I've checked all your solutions and everything is as it should be. I'll contact her tomorrow and see if her issue persists. I still think what I did was not the solution just a coincidence. If so I'll set her phone up as new. I hadn't thought to do that. Once again thanks for helping me. I appreciate the time and dedication everyone here takes to help out others on top of everything else going on in their lives.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl