Updated to IOS 9, but my notes app isn't showing the new features?

I

iMore Question

I updated to IOS 9 last night, everything seems to be going great, but I wanted to check out the new notes app. So when I go into it I can see the new folders, but I don't have any of the new options to do checklists, or sketch. Has anyone else seen this? Or have a fix for it?

ipadgeek

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I saw that you needed to do that, but I don't even have the + button.

notes.jpg Ios9.jpg

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Select one of your notes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442495616.834896.jpg

2. Select one of the new tools at the bottom.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442495717.131834.jpg

3. If you select the drawing tool, you will see more tool options.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442495754.453500.jpg

ipadgeek

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Ahh I see, I don't remember seeing that, but it looks like I didn't. Is there even away to prompt it to upgrade without a reset?

ledennis

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I was having the same problem. I finally realized that I was in the Gmail folder because that's where all my old notes were stored. But if you create a new note under "ON MY IPHONE" on the opening screen you will should see all the new stuff.

Simran Gandhi1

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hey
I tried new note in my phone notes, but no luck.. I tried to open safari and safe a tab in notes as the part of the new feature, it says "upgrade your notes" To send to a note, you'll need to go to notes and upgrade your iCloud account. when I go to notes, the edit option is not highlighted I can't use it.

Simran Gandhi1

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hey
I tried new note in my phone notes, but no luck.. I tried to open safari and safe a tab in notes as the part of the new feature, it says "upgrade your notes" To send to a note, you'll need to go to notes and upgrade your iCloud account. when I go to notes, the edit option is not highlighted I can't use it.

Simran Gandhi1

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I finally figured it out.. Go to -- Settings -- iCloud -- See if you are synced with Notes (Even if you are close and select again) -- After that, the upgrade notes page will be back on your screen. If not when you open notes you will see a small upgrade option next to "ON MY PHONE".

rsbitting

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I have a second generation Ipad with Retina Display and I can't get it to work for anything, tried all the suggestions here. I read someplace that they said it wasn't going to work on older devices. Seems hard to believe that drawing in a note requires more processing power since every other app seems to do it okay. If so, it is very petty of Apple to deliberately leave out such features in the hopes of getting us to upgrade to newer hardware. By the way, I have a IPhone 6 plus (last year's "old" model and the drawing in notes works fine, I can even see the drawings on the ipad but there are no editing tools to modify them). iSad :-(

iProblem

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. I have updated to iOS 9 on my 3rd generation iPad. I did update my Notes app. But I do not have any of the new formatting options. I tried starting a new note under On My IPad as suggested. But still nothing. I checked iCloud and I do have Notes turned on. I tried turning Notes off in the iCloud setting to turn it back on. But I got the warning that if I turned it off, all notes would be removed from my iPad. So I cancelled that. I don't want to risk losing my notes.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Russ Herald

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm in exactly the same situation. 3rd gen iPad. I can make lists in notes, copy url's and change text size and type. But I can't draw anything, and can't find the option anywhere.
image.jpg

Kellie Smith2

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Had the same problem but figured out that your notes need to be in your iCloud folder. Even though I had iCloud on they weren't in iCloud folder. Just hit edit and select move all and move them to iCloud folder. After I did that all features worked.

Artiste212

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I figured this out on an iPhone 5S. Here's how to upgrade:
1. Open any note in the app
2. On the top left, press the back arrow. This should show a Notes list.
3. On the top left, press the back arrow a second time. This screen is labeled "Folders"
4. On the second line on the far right, in gold color is "Upgrade". PRESS THIS!

This starts the upgrade process. Make sure you either already have El Cap or don't mind not being able to sync with your Mac until you get it.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you upgrade Notes? When you first opened it after installing iOS 9, you should have been presented with an option to upgrade your notes. You have to do that before you see the new tools.

I figured this out on an iPhone 5S. Here's how to upgrade:
1. Open any note in the app
2. On the top left, press the back arrow. This should show a Notes list.
3. On the top left, press the back arrow a second time. This screen is labeled "Folders"
4. On the second line on the far right, in gold color is "Upgrade". PRESS THIS!

This starts the upgrade process. Make sure you either already have El Cap or don't mind not being able to sync with your Mac until you get it.
Good question and better answer by one of our Mods to pick up on the upgrade, I did it but would not have picked up on it to answer like she did. Glad it all worked out for the other members as well. :)

ykmc

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue on my 3 rd gen ipad. These features work fine on my iphone 6P. I am suspecting these are not available on 3rd gen ipad.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue on my 3 rd gen ipad. These features work fine on my iphone 6P. I am suspecting these are not available on 3rd gen ipad.

Is Notes toggled on for iCloud in Settings on the iPad? If not, toggle Notes on in iCloud. Toggle Notes OFF for email accounts.