Screen dimming with auto brightness off?

anon(9490796)

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else experience this? I called apple today and they made a case for me because they said they don't have it documented as a "known" issue. After browsing around online I see others have this issue as well, mainly when the phone is being used for a period of time and it's dimming on its own to cool off the screen. But does anyone have this issue? If so, is it a defect or just normal for the phone? Some of my friends don't experience this issue at all. But I also don't want to swap out an otherwise perfectly functioning phone if this is just common. I also thought I read online somewhere that this really only occurs if you have your brightness always set to 100%.. Who knows. Just trying to debunk this.

Here's a video I found online that shows what it does. The dim occurs at 4:55 and brightens back up at 6:22. https://vid.me/Vtb

Let me know your thoughts/experiences and any suggestions on whether to look into it or leave it alone are greatly appreciated!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had it happen a time or two, but it's a non-issue to 'me'. I simply put the brightness level back to where I had it. Having said that, I do not keep my brightness level at 100%.

anon(9490796)

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I've had it happen a time or two, but it's a non-issue to 'me'. I simply put the brightness level back to where I had it. Having said that, I do not keep my brightness level at 100%.

Aside from this post I've asked around. Asked my friends to experiment with this. They found theirs dimming as well. I guess it's a feature!

anon(9490796)

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Never had it happen but I use auto brightness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a few people run this experiment for me. If you don't mind i would like you to run it as well :) take auto brightness off. Set the brightness to 100% and mess with your phone for a period of time and report back :) you don't have to if you don't want to but I'm curious!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had a few people run this experiment for me. If you don't mind i would like you to run it as well :) take auto brightness off. Set the brightness to 100% and mess with your phone for a period of time and report back :) you don't have to if you don't want to but I'm curious!

I usually keep auto brightness on but I turned it off to try this experiment. So far nothing has happened. My screen stays extremely bright. It only goes back when I turn Auto Correct back on.

anon(9490796)

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I usually keep auto brightness on but I turned it off to try this experiment. So far nothing has happened. My screen stays extremely bright. It only goes back when I turn Auto Correct back on.

Mine does it at very random times. I'm I'm using it heavily or when it's warmer I notice this. Who knows but it's interesting to ask around!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Same here. I'm using a Verizon 6 Plus if that makes a difference.

koltonh2002

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else experience this? I called apple today and they made a case for me because they said they don't have it documented as a "known" issue. After browsing around online I see others have this issue as well, mainly when the phone is being used for a period of time and it's dimming on its own to cool off the screen. But does anyone have this issue? If so, is it a defect or just normal for the phone? Some of my friends don't experience this issue at all. But I also don't want to swap out an otherwise perfectly functioning phone if this is just common. I also thought I read online somewhere that this really only occurs if you have your brightness always set to 100%.. Who knows. Just trying to debunk this.

Here's a video I found online that shows what it does. The dim occurs at 4:55 and brightens back up at 6:22. https://vid.me/Vtb

Let me know your thoughts/experiences and any suggestions on whether to look into it or leave it alone are greatly appreciated!

happens to me all the time. just happened before I wrote this because of a FaceTime call

anon(9490796)

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Tried it last night and no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took my brightness from 100% to a smidge under it. And it hasn't dimmed once on me today! So I guess it only happens at the 100% brightness mark. Well interesting! And I'm not doing a trade out for that since I really think it's just what most iPhones do

Carly Jo

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site
Hello to all, my iphone 6 would random dim and then get bright again. Didn't matter if autobright was on or off. Started happening after the last IOS 10 update. I keep my phone update regularly. I have been on a lot of websites trying to find the reason for this happening, and what finally stopped it was turning Zoom off. Now it's fine. No issues. I will miss Zoom, but the random dimming was driving me insane.

iamdaviddd

Apr 28, 2018
Visit site
I know it’s late to post to this but if anyone is having this issue still make sure Auto-Brightness is turned off in the Magnifier section and the Display Accomodations section this should fix it as it did for me.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I’ve had this happen a couple times. Most recently a couple days ago. It doesn’t really bother me as every time it happens my phone has been in the sun in my truck and usually running an app. The phone itself just heats up quite a bit, so when that happens I just close everything and let it sit in a cooler environment for a few minutes to cool down and it’s fine.

Aldo Zapata

Oct 5, 2018
Visit site
Anon

I have the same issue. I think they call it "DimGate" lol. For me it is very annoying. I play PUBG mobile often and it really bothers me when I'm into a game for about 10 minutes and my phone does go dim. It bothers me because it very much reduces my visibility when I'm playing this game. Having said this I'm not a little kid addicted tot his game (I'm an adult addicted to it lol). My auto brightness is off btw.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2