iPhone Restore as new: what happens to watch data?

justinkoehn

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I was talking with a friend the other day and we were discussing iOS upgrades/restores and the apple watch. Whenever a new major iOS version hits, I usually restore my phone as a new phone, not restoring from a backup. What happens to my watch data such as activity etc? If I restore the phone as new, will my watch pair with it without restoring the watch?

I am afraid of losing my fitness and activity data if I do it the way I've always done. Is it even necessary for me to restore/setup as a new iPhone? I've had quite a bit of springboard crashes on my 6 Plus and I wasn't sure if it was something lingering that's causing it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you restore your iPhone AND set it up as new, your Watch will un-pair and revert to its native state. All of your fitness-related progress will be gone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That is exactly what I envisioned....

I wish there was a separate iCloud backup or storage area within iCloud for the Apple Watch.

Yeah, I'm with you. I found out the hard way......I'd even settle for a Bluetooth to computer backup via Bluetooth, if possible, in regard to the Watch.