Is it possible to unblock an iPhone 5s that was lost but since has been found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsmgrimes

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

So this is going to sound fairly dodgy but is actually just incompetence on behalf of my old network provider.

So I used to be with Orange (EE) and reported a contract iPhone 5 as lost about a year ago. They blocked it and sent me a replacement under my insurance. My contract expired late last year and I left them late last year when my 24 month deal expired. Well this weekend I went to Glastonbury and took an old sports bag that I didn't mind ruining - lost my current iPhone while there - was searching high and low for it amongst my stuff and happened to find the old iPhone within the lining of it.

So I call orange, now EE, this morning to explain, as I'm aware that a replaced lost/stolen phone remains their property and I'd switched it on so was concerned they might know and come after me for fraud or something. I explain the whole thing and they basically say "it's cool, just keep it" - and I explain it's blocked so it isn't much use to me to which they clearly aren't bothered. So I ask can they unblock it and they say no, that the only way they would unblock it is if I return in to them, but, at the same time, reiterating they don't want it back.

So here I am, my iPhone is probably gone as glasto haven't been in touch, but fingers crossed, but I have a perfectly good iPhone (screen is smashed during its hiatus within the depths of the old bag) if it weren't blocked.

Any chance of being able to rectify it? It's on version 7.0 (11A465)

I am open to dodgy means to getting it working again - I live in London and there are plenty of little phone stalls knocking about that apparently will jailbreak iPhones no worries.

If not I might ring them again tomorrow and make an offer to give them some money to unblock it but they just seemed so nonchalant while remaining very stubborn that they won't unblock it, so I doubt I'll get anywhere.

Thanks in advance,
GG

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Since you filed an insurance claim and received a replacement device for the lost one - once found, the found device is legally and morally property of the insurance company and you should do everything you can to get the device to the insurance company.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

So this is going to sound fairly dodgy but is actually just incompetence on behalf of my old network provider.

So I used to be with Orange (EE) and reported a contract iPhone 5 as lost about a year ago. They blocked it and sent me a replacement under my insurance. My contract expired late last year and I left them late last year when my 24 month deal expired. Well this weekend I went to Glastonbury and took an old sports bag that I didn't mind ruining - lost my current iPhone while there - was searching high and low for it amongst my stuff and happened to find the old iPhone within the lining of it.

So I call orange, now EE, this morning to explain, as I'm aware that a replaced lost/stolen phone remains their property and I'd switched it on so was concerned they might know and come after me for fraud or something. I explain the whole thing and they basically say "it's cool, just keep it" - and I explain it's blocked so it isn't much use to me to which they clearly aren't bothered. So I ask can they unblock it and they say no, that the only way they would unblock it is if I return in to them, but, at the same time, reiterating they don't want it back.

So here I am, my iPhone is probably gone as glasto haven't been in touch, but fingers crossed, but I have a perfectly good iPhone (screen is smashed during its hiatus within the depths of the old bag) if it weren't blocked.

Any chance of being able to rectify it? It's on version 7.0 (11A465)

I am open to dodgy means to getting it working again - I live in London and there are plenty of little phone stalls knocking about that apparently will jailbreak iPhones no worries.

If not I might ring them again tomorrow and make an offer to give them some money to unblock it but they just seemed so nonchalant while remaining very stubborn that they won't unblock it, so I doubt I'll get anywhere.

Thanks in advance,
GG

So, you want us to help you commit insurance fraud? I'll pass. And remember, karma can be a b**ch.

gsmgrimes

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I somewhat assumed you lot would get a bit high and mighty about the whole thing. I can't see why it's my problem that orange don't want to meet their obligations to whoever provides their insurance cover (assuming it isn't in-house), I don't have a duty of care to them, only to orange.

Not to worry. Thanks for your insightful views. I'll be sure to watch my back for this karma bird you speak of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods