Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

107 Posts
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

Default Are all iMessage threads stored?

I don't use spotlight search very often, but today I typed in three letters to search for a contact from the homescreen and it brought up four iMessage links to previous conversations in the screen. The thing is, those messages belonged to threads that I had deleted (or thought I had deleted) months ago out of the iMessage screen. I have more than enough storage available on my phone so that's not an issue; it's just the idea of unwanted/unneeded data taking up space on my phone when I thought it was deleted. Texts add up after awhile, and if I had a device with less storage it potentially could be an issue. Are all iMessages tucked away somewhere in the phone, or maybe Apple is archiving everyone's messages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Are all iMessage threads stored?

There's not much one can do about that. You can go to Settings > General > Spotlight Search > uncheck messages. They won't show in Spotlight search then. But checking it back brings them back. There's supposed to be a remedy I saw online. But it worked for some but not others. Maybe this will help. I have not tried this. I do have old messages in Spotlight. But they don't bother me.

Default Re: Are all iMessage threads stored?

Let us know if this works!