NO SOUND with TEXT MESSAGES iPhone 6, just started this week. How can I fix this?

I

iMore Question

NO SOUND with TEXT MESSAGES iPhone 6, just started this week

Help, I have done everything single thing three times over on every single forum. I don't get SOUND for incoming text messages, only from people using iMessage via their iPad or computer. This is causing me a lot of trouble. I'm missing really important things daily.

I'm at the end of the rope here. I'm ready to go back to Droid as iPhone has more glitches-and they never stop.

YES the do not disturb sign is OFF
YES the sound is ON
YES the notification sound is ON.

PLEASE help.

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: NO SOUND with TEXT MESSAGES iPhone 6, just started this week

Help, I have done everything single thing three times over on every single forum. I don't get SOUND for incoming text messages, only from people using iMessage via their iPad or computer. This is causing me a lot of trouble. I'm missing really important things daily.

I'm at the end of the rope here. I'm ready to go back to Droid as iPhone has more glitches-and they never stop.

YES the do not disturb sign is OFF
YES the sound is ON
YES the notification sound is ON.

PLEASE help.
Don't worry, you're not going crazy.You're actually not alone with this, and I can confirm that this happens on both my iPhone 5S aswell as my 6 Plus, and not just on text messages. (I'm forever finding that my skype message alerts do not always sound either, though to be fair, that one is likely just an issue with the app developer rather than the iPhone). But like you, I have also checked all the app and volume settings, plus double-checked that the do not disturb feature is not enabled by either the dedicated side switch and also the internal software button settings method of enabling or disabling this, so I know that this is not the cause either. Unfortunately what this means is that there is likely no way to correct this ourselves (unless there are any geniuses on here that have sussed out a way to do it that we haven't thought of). I will add though, that both devices have had full system resets also (back to factory settings like when you get your iPhone brand new) so just wanted to point that out, as I know that this is the obvious thing to try when all else fails, but even this did not not correct the issue on either device. Shame really, because other than little niggles like this, I love my iPhones to bits and wouldn't part with them for the world, but I just wanted to reach out and say you're not alone in having noticed this annoying little *quirk*, because if enough people speak up about it, only then do we ever stand a chance in Apple seeing it as important enough to want to invest their time and resources into fixing the issue.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Don't worry, you're not going crazy.You're actually not alone with this, and I can confirm that this happens on both my iPhone 5S aswell as my 6 Plus, and not just on text messages. (I'm forever finding that my skype message alerts do not always sound either, though to be fair, that one is likely just an issue with the app developer rather than the iPhone). But like you, I have also checked all the app and volume settings, plus double-checked that the do not disturb feature is not enabled by either the dedicated side switch and also the internal software button settings method of enabling or disabling this, so I know that this is not the cause either. Unfortunately what this means is that there is likely no way to correct this ourselves (unless there are any geniuses on here that have sussed out a way to do it that we haven't thought of). I will add though, that both devices have had full system resets also (back to factory settings like when you get your iPhone brand new) so just wanted to point that out, as I know that this is the obvious thing to try when all else fails, but even this did not not correct the issue on either device. Shame really, because other than little niggles like this, I love my iPhones to bits and wouldn't part with them for the world, but I just wanted to reach out and say you're not alone in having noticed this annoying little *quirk*, because if enough people speak up about it, only then do we ever stand a chance in Apple seeing it as important enough to want to invest their time and resources into fixing the issue.

It is not a common "issue"...it is an isolated issue affecting only a very tiny % of the consumer base, and is best remedied by either a restore or having the device replaced/repaired by Apple if the restore doesn't remedy what is happening. Apple is not going to "fix" something that is affecting such a small amount of users.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

It is not a common "issue"...it is an isolated issue affecting only a very tiny % of the consumer base, and is best remedied by either a restore or having the device replaced/repaired by Apple if the restore doesn't remedy what is happening. Apple is not going to "fix" something that is affecting such a small amount of users.

I think it effects a lot of people. I have it on 2 of my phones (100% of my 6 and up phones) and a buddy does as well. I think most people don't notice or are just mildly confused by it. It goes away after 2 sounds are complete.

DavidGeary

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I get the same problem too. Or at least, similar. My phone rings alright, but the alert noises for messages do not work. I have tried changing the sounds, but none of them work, not even on the page where you change them (normally you hear a sample of the sound there, whilst selecting which sound you like). When I select a new sound for messages, it simply does the vibrate, but no sound. I'm not sure if it's related, but the other problem with my iPhone 6+ is that it can take a long time (about 5 seconds) to wake up after being asleep. I find the fix that works for both of these problems is to reboot the phone. Then both problems are resolved for a few days until the problems resurface. I guess Apple will come up with a fix for these sometime, as they seem to be software bugs to me.

richard1506

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
This has happened on my iPhone 6 as well. It has not happened on my wife's iPhone 6. The only difference between the phones is that she is on OS 8.4, and I am on OS 8.4.1. This has occurred before, and an update was made by Apple to correct the problem. Roll on OS 8.4.2!

lrbowler

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I too believe this is a lot more common you think. I have had this problem since the last update. My husband is also having the same issue with his I Phone 5 after he did the last update. Apple needs to fix this.

phone_phisher

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

For me it was the following: I frequently use a bluetooth headset and/or headphones for calls and music and I also have bluetooth speakers.

Go to the settings for the text message tones. I assume that when you change the tone, you get vibration feedback, but not the alert/ringtone, when you change.

Now swipe up the "quick menu" from the bottom of the screen (i.e. where you can switch on flashlight, wlan, bluetooth etc.).

There click on the little presentation-like icon (Airplay) and check if it is set to iphone or bluetooth. For me it was set to Bluetooth.
And yes, you can have it set to Bluetooth, even when you have Bluetooth radio disabled. That is the problem.
When it is set to that, texts, calenders etc. sounds won't be playing. So switch the AirPlay to iPhone.

Hope this solves it for somebody.

phph

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

For me it was the following: I frequently use a bluetooth headset and/or headphones for calls and music and I also have bluetooth speakers.

Go to the settings for the text message tones. I assume that when you change the tone, you get vibration feedback, but not the alert/ringtone, when you change.

Now swipe up the "quick menu" from the bottom of the screen (i.e. where you can switch on flashlight, wlan, bluetooth etc.).

There click on the little presentation-like icon (Airplay) and check if it is set to iphone or bluetooth. For me it was set to Bluetooth.
And yes, you can have it set to Bluetooth, even when you have Bluetooth radio disabled. That is the problem.
When it is set to that, texts, calenders etc. sounds won't be playing. So switch the AirPlay to iPhone.

Hope this solves it for somebody.

phph

Wow! Nice catch. Thanks for sharing that. Really helpful to know.

Cmahoney

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
That fixed my phone😊. I read that someone fixed their phone with this method and then left Bluetooth off, but that's not necessary. Mine is on, and the sound works now. Thanks!!!

Tiger Saunders

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I have a new iPhone 6Plus and it has a very quiet iMessage text tone and the ring volume is all the way up. It is just a single sylable sound. I have changed the text tone sound in settings and does not use this text tone. I know many others, in fact everyone I know has the same problem. It is a ridiculous statement to make that Apple will not fix things that affect only a small number of people. I do not believe it is a small number and it is just one of the forces that will end up harming Apple's sales at some point. The whole mentality that Apple has as reflected in your statement. Even if it were just one person it must be fixed.

Daniel Dunbar

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
It helped identify the problem. I don't get sounds when the Bluetooth is on and the phone is paired with my Apple Watch. I don't know if it is by design, but don't like it because I have text tones assigned to people and don't know who sent the message just from my watch vibrating

Ajabo23

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes this solution worked. I checked my AirPlay and it was connected to my Bose Headphones which are Bluetooth. All is working again! Thanks for the tip! A lot of other forms just said "do a factory reset"....not needed just a little investigative work is all!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234