Spotlight search won't search my music?

I

iMore Question

When I try to use spotlight search on my iphone 6--so I can quickly find a song without having to scroll through a thousand--I get results like "song on itunes," "wikipedia," and "bing search"--nothing I'm interested in--instead of the song actually on my iphone! For reasons I have no understand of, it does occasionally find songs, but only certain ones. Any suggestions?

AngelicDragonPuppy

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes, music is checked. So was everything else, so I went through and unselected a bunch of things I didn't use. However, I'm still having some... interesting issues; while the song now comes up, it only does so half the time, seemingly at random.

The song was "White Flag" by the artist Dido.

Search attempt 1: "d" shows many songs beginning with "d', adding "id" refines the search, spelling out "dido" entirely only leaves "search web / search wikipedia" as options with no song.

Search attempt 2: Similar to above, but upon reaching "Dido" the songs now finally show.

Search attempt 3: Tried searching "White flag" this time. No results upon the whole thing being typed out, except search web / wikipedia again.

Search attempt 4: "White flag" finally reveals the song.

It's just really random and bizarre and annoying. :/

Wesley Karmi

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
This happens to me as well. My theory is that I have too many songs for it to complete the search in the time given.

It seems that there might be a time limit assigned to the Spotlight search feature. It feels as if it times out before completing a search, then give no result. I believe this because occasionally it will locate the song I want. This, however, occurs less frequently.

I currently only have Music, and Apps checked with the hope that this will increase the efficiency, but it doesn't look as if that is the case. :crying:

I have over 2000 songs on my iPhone 5s.

My other theory is that the iOS has become less and less stable over time due to lower quality, buggy updates.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any issues with Spotlight Search. I start typing in the title, and the song appears. Y'all do have music checked in settings, right?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any issues with Spotlight Search. I start typing in the title, and the song appears. Y'all do have music checked in settings, right?

I'm with Ledsteplin; I don't have any issues with Spotlight locating music, and I have a lot of music on my iPhone.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest moving "Music" up in your search settings.

Settings > General > Spotlight Search

Music is the third item in my list (Applications, Contacts, Music, Spotlight Suggestions ...) and I don't have any issues with searching for music on my phone. I would guess if Bing Web Results was above music, it would return web hits above music on your phone.

figgles61

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
I have exact same issue. Changing the settings in spotlight search has made no difference, some sons just don't show. Very frustrating as I use it to find and play single accompaniment tracks at my choir and some songs just won't show. If you search in iTunes you can find the song but it will run into the next one which I don't want.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77