How can I restore my iPhone?

I

iMore Question

iPhone cannot be restored

Accidentally I may have manually deleted everything in the iPhone, thinking it would work better as it was giving problems. Now iTunes tries to recover the iPhone but ends up with different error message at different times. I sent it to some local experts who failed to fix it too. I wonder if you could help. Thanks and regards. Clarence.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone cannot be restored

Accidentally I may have manually deleted everything in the iPhone, thinking it would work better as it was giving problems. Now iTunes tries to recover the iPhone but ends up with different error message at different times. I sent it to some local experts who failed to fix it too. I wonder if you could help. Thanks and regards. Clarence.

Clarence, it may take you several attempts, but your iPhone, especially a recent model, should be able to be restored to functional use. Follow the instructions below:

1. Make sure you have the most recent version of iTunes installed on your computer. If you already have it installed, turn off the computer, wait a few minutes, and then restart it.
2. Make sure the USB cable to connect your iPhone to your computer is not frayed or damaged. If you're uncertain, get a new one preferably from Apple.
3. Locate the .ipsw file on your computer and move it to the trash bin. If you have a Mac running OS X Yosemite, it will be in a hidden folder - ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
4. Put your iPhone in DFU mode using the instructions via the following link. Nothing will be displayed on the screen when in DFU mode.
https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode
5, When the process is complete, you should be met with the welcome screen. iTunes will have downloaded and installed a fresh copy of the latest iOS version for your particular device. Anyway, set up your device as you wish.

As stated above, it amy take several attempts to get this to work, especially if your device was jailbroken and you opted to use the Erase All Contents and Settings method prior to the problem.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro