Why won't my contacts transfer over to my car via Bluetooth connection?

I

iMore Question

My iPhone 5S
According to my iPhone the connection between my car and the phone is unsuccessful, but according to the car it has connected.
Functionality of the phone has been successful but the contacts in my phone do not transfer over and I get all the symbols under the sun.
I have rebooted, reset network settings and restored my phone, none of which work. Do I assume my handset is broken?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Make sure your car's audio system has the latest firmware available for it...you may need to see your car dealer.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 5S
According to my iPhone the connection between my car and the phone is unsuccessful, but according to the car it has connected.
Functionality of the phone has been successful but the contacts in my phone do not transfer over and I get all the symbols under the sun.
I have rebooted, reset network settings and restored my phone, none of which work. Do I assume my handset is broken?

In addition to what you've already done, un-pair the phone from the car and delete the phone pairing info via the car's phone setup menu or whatever it is called in your vehicle. Afterwards, turn off the car and reboot the phone. After the phone has rebooted, turn on the car and pair your iPhone to it via the Bluetooth setup.

Kevin Weaver

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
You can remove, reboot till death. The iPhone will not allow it. I just bought a new Honda Accord and It will not transfer. Called Apple they said no it will not do it. Another gotcha from your friends at Apple.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You can remove, reboot till death. The iPhone will not allow it. I just bought a new Honda Accord and It will not transfer. Called Apple they said no it will not do it. Another gotcha from your friends at Apple.

What will not transfer? The contacts? Hmmm. In 'my' car, my contacts, call history and favorites download to my vehicle's infotainment system every time I connect to it via Bluetooth.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
go to the Bluetooth settings, click the i next to your car and turn on the option to share contacts.

SteveMercedes

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Try transfering your contacts from your SIM to your device. I had the same problem and realised I had added a contact and somehow all the contacts were transfered to SIM.

tomey

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
Go to settings. Go to Bluetooth

Find the vehicle you are trying to sync with. There may be more than one. Hit that one. The circled I. Make sure sync contacts is on.

This is for an I phone

Mohammad Mosaab

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
Hi All,

Hope this solution helps.

Follow the following steps:

1. Go to settings>Bluetooth>Select the Bluetooth connection name of your car>switch on the sync contacts option.

Ta-da we are done.

Hope all contacts are synced for your guys.

jpower16

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I have had the same problem for weeks now with I phone 8 and Honda. Honda couldn't sort it but I've just fixed it..........go to Bluetooth on phone, click on the car that it syncs with, then I found a button that is SYNC CONTACTS, turn on SYNC contacts and it worked so phone book has now synced with the car!

scodell

May 22, 2018
Visit site
Hi

I see comments on here regarding clicking sync contacts to connect to the car however I have the same problem BUT with iPhone X.
The option on the Bluetooth menu of sync contacts is not there on iPhone X. Any ideas?