Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Is there a way to change the permanent name of a photo in the new 'photos' app?

I really like the new photos app in the iOS 10.10.3 update! Time stamp photo organization is great and I figured out how to change the original time stamp for those scanned photos. But I would also like to place a permanent name change on the pictures that will go along with the photo. For example, most Mac products let you save a label in their program but not the original file (they want to save us from ourselves I get it) but then in years to come my kids might see a picture that says DANSCAN which doesn't tell you who is in the picture. Any ideas?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    21,868 Global Posts

Default Re: Is there a way to change the permanent name of a photo in the new 'photos' app?

You can drill to it via finder and change the file name there... But why not just add a description in box that pops up when you "Get info" via the Mac Photos app? (ctrl-click) Photo in Moments view...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,793 Global Posts

Default Re: Is there a way to change the permanent name of a photo in the new 'photos' app?

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    You can drill to it via finder and change the file name there... But why not just add a description in box that pops up when you "Get info" via the Mac Photos app? (ctrl-click) Photo in Moments view...
    Because when you export them to files the file names are still nondescript?

Not really an issue I've ever had with Photos but with Video absolutely, changing the file names is something I need to do since it's mostly sports stuff that I load into Dartfish and I need to be able to quickly get to what I need in a file manager :-P
    iMore Nanite

HI! I need to figure this out as well. Did you ever figure it out?