Why after sending a Digital Touch message via Family share does it appear that someone else sent it?

I

iMore Question

I have four sub-accounts on Family Share. Two of them have Apple Watches, yet all four appear to have the ability to accept digital touch. Furthermore, whenever I send a digital touch message from my Apple Watch, it appears as if someone else in my Family Share actually sent the message (always the same person, who doesn't actually have a watch - let's call her "D"). What's more, in addition to the intended recipient getting the digital touch message seemingly from "D," I also receive the same message from "D." Note that D is signed into iCloud and into iTunes under her own Apple ID, which is linked to my Family Share.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
re: Why after sending a Digital Touch message via Family share does it appear that someone else sent it?

This issue would exceedingly concern me, as it could create some awkward situations.

With the fact your Apple Watch is covered under AppleCare, I would contact Apple support and have them assist you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What's confusing me is that, well, I'm assuming the problem only exist in regard to the Watch and not with the other iOS devices. There aren't any iMessages, emails, reminders, etcetera that are showing up in the same manner you described with the digital touch message, right? If so, I can't understand how the setup would affect the Watch in that manner?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Why after sending a Digital Touch message via Family share does it appear tha...

Setting up Family Sharing may fix this issue. If you already have that, try checking your Family Share set up.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

AK1776

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help!

I was on the phone with AppleCare today and I think we were able to figure it out. I didn't realize that the Apple ID is required across multiple Apple Applications, including iTunes, iCloud, FaceTime and iMessage. My Family Share sub-accounts had all logged in under their respective IDs only with respect to iTunes and iCloud -- I thought all the other functions/apps would automatically take their cue from iCloud or iTunes. I wasn't aware that I also needed to log them in under iMessage and FaceTime. I will turn to this tonight, but I'm almost certain that the sub-accounts are logged in under my AppleID in iMessage, which is the source of the problem.

I will confirm once the problem has been definitively resolved.

Thanks again.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
On behalf of those who responded, you're very welcome...:)...and please keep us updated. Take care.

AK1776

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Update and Resolution: The resolution wasn't as straightforward as I had suggested in my previous post, but with AppleCare's help, we finally resolved the issue, as follows:

1. Everyone in Family Share has to log into Messages under his or her own unique ID
2. I had to log out of Messages in my iPhone
3. Unpair the Apple Watch from my iPhone
4. Re-pair the Apple Watch to my iPhone
5. Log back into Messages in my iPhone

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Update and Resolution: The resolution wasn't as straightforward as I had suggested in my previous post, but with AppleCare's help, we finally resolved the issue, as follows:

1. Everyone in Family Share has to log into Messages under his or her own unique ID
2. I had to log out of Messages in my iPhone
3. Unpair the Apple Watch from my iPhone
4. Re-pair the Apple Watch to my iPhone
5. Log back into Messages in my iPhone

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Thank you for the update, and I'm glad your watch is working properly now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2