How to play a video's audio only?

I

iMore Question

iOS 5's music app could play the audio only of a video file (MP4); this could be done by including at least one audio track in a playlist together with a video file.

iOS 7 and 8 have "fixed" this feature/flaw (don't know about iOS 6; I skipped it). Playlists which include at least one audio track and an MP4 do not even display the latter in the Music app.

How can I recover this feature/flaw; do you know of a third-party app which can do this? The goal is to listen the video file's audio without displaying the video and draining the iDevice's battery needlessly.

BTW?the MP4 files in question are commercial (I paid for them in the iTunes Store) and protected to prevent (legally) extracting the audio only from them.

Many thanks in advance!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I personally do not know of any, but hopefully someone who does will respond soon.

dwsiddall

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to understand why you bothered to reply....only to say that you don't know. That seems absurd and pointless.

This handy feature was designed out of later releases and is no longer available. It's a shame, since it was a great way to listen to a video file and save battery life by not displaying the video. It's too bad that designers make "improvements" without bothering to survey their customers to find out if it's a good idea or not.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to understand why you bothered to reply....only to say that you don't know. That seems absurd and pointless.

This handy feature was designed out of later releases and is no longer available. It's a shame, since it was a great way to listen to a video file and save battery life by not displaying the video. It's too bad that designers make "improvements" without bothering to survey their customers to find out if it's a good idea or not.

It's to greet the person asking the question. And to let them know we're aware they are here. It's common courtesy. It also bumps their question up to the top where someone may see it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2