Can I get some help with some questions on my iPhone 6, iOS 8.x & Apps..from an Android user?

Gino Guillermo

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Questions on iPhone 6, iOS 8.x & Apps...from an Android user

Hi there. I'm an Android user and want to ask about the iPhone 6 and its current IOS iteration.
1. If i use the normal Messages app and sending my photos to an Android phone does that mean it is in the form of MMS? If we are talking about compressed files and sending 5 (or more photos at a time) which app is best...Messages, WhatsApp or something else?
2. Re: about storage. Am i correct in saying a 16GB iPhone will only have roughly 12GB available? I also heard about this "controversy" that iOS 8.2 or 8.3 took a big chunk of the storage. Any truth?
3. Buying a used/unlocked iPhone on Ebay. I'm on the O2 network. is it best to get a "locked" iPhone or a factory unlocked is better? Any truth that once an iPhone is connected to iTunes or iCloud once the next buyer won't be able to use it?
4. I have a Chromecast. Any good Chromecast apps so i can easily stream my files to my TV?
5. The Action Centre is similar to the Quick Settings on Android but the latter is more customisable and flexible. Is there an app that can control or can custom add & arrange toggles like Android?
6. I had a 5C last year and would like to see/retrieve my old photos taken. How can i do it from my iPhone 6 or iTunes? Can i view those photos on a browser?

Please advice. Thanks.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Questions on iPhone 6, iOS 8.x & Apps...from an Android user

Just a thought, but maybe you should stay with an Android device. If you're going to have to "make" an iPhone work the way an Android does, maybe that should tell you something.

Just my humble opinion.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

Well, my intention was to find out if some of the features and capability of an iPhone and iOS in general would suits me after the latest iPhone 6 and iOS 8.3.

What keeps on attracting me to the iPhone is the build quality, excellent & super speedy camera and a great battery life.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

1. Yes, the "Messages" app will send MMS if you send pictures to an Android phone. No idea if other apps are "better" as I don't use them. I exclusively use Messages. I haven't experienced any problems using it to send pictures to both iPhone and non-iPhone users.
2. Yes. True. Don't think there's any "truth" to the "controversy" you may have heard about iOS 8.2 or 8.3. However, it's certainly true (as well as known and expected) that each OS upgrade will likely take up more space than the previous on. Note also that I would not recommend a 16 GB iPhone to anyone. Certainly not if you are already asking about storage space.
3. Buying an unlocked phone is your best option if you want the most flexibility with carriers. There's NO truth to the second sentence. The user just needs to make sure that they fully sign out of iCloud and Find My iPhone before the next user attempts to use the phone.
4. I don't use Chromcast.
5. No. The Control Center is not currently customizable.
6. Do you still have access to the iCloud account for that phone?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Well, my intention was to find out if some of the features and capability of an iPhone and iOS in general would suits me after the latest iPhone 6 and iOS 8.3.

What keeps on attracting me to the iPhone is the build quality, excellent & super speedy camera and a great battery life.

Fair enough. . . . Let me add this: the best part about using Apple products is the overall user experience and customer service. Apple does these things better than anyone else.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

3. Locked or unlocked only matters if you want to switch networks. Not really true. There is an activation lock when you have Find my iPhone turned on but it can be turned off before selling the phone.

So, does that mean if one is factory resetting it will there be a prompt to turn off Find my iPhone?

And if the person did turned if off will i be able to use the iPhone with all its functions & features as normal?

What would the reasons a person is selling and and i won't be able to use it because some features are "locked"?

Gino Guillermo

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

1. Yes, the "Messages" app will send MMS if you send pictures to an Android phone. No idea if other apps are "better" as I don't use them. I exclusively use Messages. I haven't experienced any problems using it to send pictures to both iPhone and non-iPhone users.
2. Yes. True. Don't think there's any "truth" to the "controversy" you may have heard about iOS 8.2 or 8.3. However, it's certainly true (as well as known and expected) that each OS upgrade will likely take up more space than the previous on. Note also that I would not recommend a 16 GB iPhone to anyone. Certainly not if you are already asking about storage space.
3. Buying an unlocked phone is your best option if you want the most flexibility with carriers. There's NO truth to the second sentence. The user just needs to make sure that they fully sign out of iCloud and Find My iPhone before the next user attempts to use the phone.
4. I don't use Chromcast.
5. No. The Control Center is not currently customizable.
6. Do you still have access to the iCloud account for that phone?

Is there a limit to how many photos one can send from Messages considering they are standard 8MP photos?

Re iCloud will there be always a prompt to the user to turn off iCloud and Find my iPhone before factory resetting it?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

The maximum is 20 photos at one time.

I think that there's a prompt. But as noted above, it's easy enough to do without a prompt.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

The seller ha an unlocked iPhone. No iCloud logged in or Find my iPhone app. Does this sound Ok for you guys?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro