How do I only store photos on iCloud & Mac but not on my iPhone?

I

iMore Question

I only have 16GB iPhone 5 so I don't have much storage space. I purchased 200GB iCloud storage and have my Photos library on an external hard drive connected to my Mac. I'd like to have it set up so that once I take a photo on my iPhone and upload it to iCloud I can delete the file on my phone to free up space but still have it on iCloud and on the Mac. How would I set this up? I'm worried that if I delete a picture on my iPhone it will delete it on iCloud and my Mac also.

Thanks

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Photos you have in iCloud Photo Library should remain there after they are deleted from the camera roll. Storing the photos in more than one place is a wise decision. An option I use are cloud based apps like Box, Dropbox and OneDrive. They are great for storing photos and videos. And unlike storing on a computer, you can view the photos on your phone anytime, and create albums (or folders). I don't like using iCloud Photo Library. It uses up my iCloud storage I need to back up what is currently on my phone. And I'm not willing to pay more. Between Box, Dropbox and OneDrive, I have 83 gb of free storage. That will last me a long time. If you're moving your photos to your computer, you can't view them on the phone when you want to. But if they are in iCloud Photo Library, you can. You have 200gb in iCloud for storage. That's a lot. But deleting from the camera roll will not delete from your iCloud Photo Library. That's the whole point of iCloud Photo Library.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73