Should I buy a MacBook Air with more storage space or more RAM?

I

iMore Question

Should I buy a mac book air with more GB or more Ram? Don't know what to do. I don't want to do gaming or photos or movies. More spreadsheets and browsing. Hope someone can help!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, it would help to know how much storage space and RAM the specific device you're considering buying currently have. Anyway, based on what you've posted, a new MacBook Air as-is should be sufficient, in my opinion, but if you must choose one, I agree with Karen in regard to getting more RAM.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Should I buy a mac book air with more GB or more Ram? Don't know what to do. I don't want to do gaming or photos or movies. More spreadsheets and browsing. Hope someone can help!

Since the RAM is soldered in and can never be upgraded, go with the maxed out RAM option. Previous MBAs have had third party SSDs appear in the marketplace, so there is always the possibility of being able to swap that out somewhere down the road. Additionally, there are options for adding up to 128GB of storage via the SD card slot.

I have several "half" cards that I use in the SD scard slot. I have several brands, as well. PNY makes the StoreEDGE cards in multiple storage sizes (64GB and 128GB). The other brands - Nifty and TheMiniDrive use MicroSD cards, and the ones that I have currently support up to 128GB MicroSD cards.

• PNY
  • Simple, Seamless Storage For Your MacBook | The Nifty MiniDrive
  • TheMiniDrive | Seamless MacBook Storage ? TheMiniDrive.com

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the task.
I have a MBA with minimum ram and a 128 SSD.
Mainly doing Internet itunes streaming to ATV and business stuff but I've tested it using Logic Pro X running a pretty heavy session and it runs perfectly.
I didn't buy it for the purpose of Pro Recording but it can do it as configured easily. Mixing audio is the most intensive I could possibly do with it.
So I believe just for basic use minimum ram is good. I had planned on using a external drive for iTunes and Photos library so 128 was enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73