Why can't the Weather or Maps apps find any locations?

I

iMore Question

The only locations that come up when I search for cities in the Weather app are Chinese cities. Also, maps cannot find any address even when I type the entire city, including city and state, into the search box. Any idea?

New iPhone 6 Plus, just upgraded to iOS 8.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Go to settings & make sure locations is turned on. As far as maps not finding places you type in, you'll want to make sure you have a strong data connection.

jasonfhall

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Location services are on globally, and for both Maps and Weather. I have tried on both a strong LTE signal as well as a Wifi connection.

Any other ideas?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
By any chance are you trying to use the Weather/Maps app with Airplane mode on and wifi turned on?? The GPS receiver is part of the phone that gets shut off when airplane mode is on...

jasonfhall

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but airplane mode is off. I've tried on both Wifi and on LTE, and have tried while connected to several different hotspots. Same problem everywhere. Guess I'll need to head into an Apple store to see whats up.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The only locations that come up when I search for cities in the Weather app are Chinese cities. Also, maps cannot find any address even when I type the entire city, including city and state, into the search box. Any idea?

New iPhone 6 Plus, just upgraded to iOS 8.

If I were you, I'd take the time to do a clean install of iOS 8.3 via iTunes in a computer. Afterwards, and before you restore from a backup or install any apps, I'd test out the native Weather app to see if it can locate your position via location services. If it does then consider the problem solved and continue setting up your device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox