Why do I get a Google error when attempting to update?

I

iMore Question

Google error when attempting to update

When attempting to update Google Chrome I get an error message that reads:

A web browser built for speed, simplicity, and security
Get help with using Chrome Report an issue
Version 40.0.2214.115 (64-bit)

Update failed (error: 12)

Checking various websites such, the suggested fix, I do not have any of the files mentioned. Here is one of the suggested fixes:

In the Finder menu at the top of your window, select Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/Caches.
Delete the following file (if present): com.google.Keystone.
It may be present as com.google.Keystone.Agent.
Now delete this file (if present): com.google.UpdateEngine.
It may be present as com.google.SoftwareUpdate.
Try to update Google Chrome again.

If the problem persists, follow these instructions:

If you’re uncomfortable using Terminal to run commands, you may want to consult a computer technician before you start.

Quit Google Chrome and any other Google applications.
In the Applications menu at the top of your window, select Utilities.
Double-click the Terminal program.
Run the following command. Be careful to enter the command exactly as written:
~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/Resources/GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent.app/Contents/Resources/install.py --uninstall. It may result in a "No such file error"; the next command will address that.
Now run this following command. Again, carefully enter the command exactly as written:
sudo /Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/Resources/GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent.app/Contents/Resources/install.py --uninstall
Download the Google Software Update installer.
Double-click the downloaded "googlesoftwareupdate-version#.dmg" file to open the disk image.
Inside the disk image, double-click the "GoogleSoftwareUpdate.pkg" installer.
Follow the onscreen prompts to reinstall Google Software Update.
Eject the "GoogleSoftwareUpdate" disk image.
Restart Google Chrome.

If all else fails, download the Chrome installer again.

If you're comfortable using the Terminal and reading diagnostic logs, you can also try running a diagnostic utility to see its logs:
~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/Resources/ksdiagnostics || /Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/Resources/ksdiagnostics

On another post this is the subject and response:

I don't see an error or my error isn't listed

If you are having issues updating Google Chrome and don’t necessarily see an error, please first check the version of Keystone you’re using:

In the Finder menu at the top of your window, select Go > Go to Folder > /Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate. If you can’t find that folder, go to the folder: ~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.
Control-click GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle and select Get info.
Locate the Keystone version number.

We are actively investigating update issues with the specific Keystone version 1.0.8.1973. If you have this version, please contact us at this Help Forum thread.

If you use another version of Keystone, feel free to create a new post with your issue in the Help Forum.

I have tried all of the suggested fixes above going into Terminal and downloading another Chrome installer.

Dennis

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2