I felt compelled to write in reaction to Rene's recent comments regarding OSX security. As it happens I'd recently had a similar conversation with an IT specialist colleague.
My colleague enquired as to why I had chosen to my a new iMac. I replied because I felt the operating system was more secure than the alternatives. He then told my that Macs were actually the easiest of all OSs to hack.
For example, he could simply restart my computer,holding down a couple keys would bring up the command line interface. From there he could bring up my account, change my passwords and take full control of my system. Or, assuming I didn't notice, attach an external hard drive that could siphon off all my data without my knowing. He assured me that in the time it took me to go to lunch, he could have completely raided my system and restore it to how it was so that I wouldn't be the wiser.
He then asked the question, why don't we see more macs in finance and security companies? It's because, he said, they are ultimately unsecure systems.
Obviously this left me a little shaken so after I heard Rene rubbishing that a recent review which declared OSX to be the least secure OS, I wanted to get more information.
Thanks in advance.
I regularly enjoy listening to the podcast. If I could ask that you cover more topics on OSX and iOS in the sciences? Much appreciated and keep up the great work.
- 03-02-2015, 07:12 AM #2
- 03-25-2015, 07:34 AM #3iMore Nanite
- 8 Posts
Re: OSX security
While accessing OSX you have to keep few necessary points on your mind-
- Privacy controls guard your privacy- This pane let you to limit /block cookies & limited websites will be access to location services.
- Strong passwords are hard to crack so make your password strong and you can put alphanumeric words as well special characters too
- As iCloud Keychain holds your passwords so keep maintain it
- Sandboxing blocks malicious code
- Runtime protections are required while defending at the core
- Antiphishing protects you from fraudulent websites.
- By flukychat in forum iPhone Apps & GamesReplies: 6Last Post: 03-13-2015, 06:55 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 02-27-2015, 12:34 AM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 02-25-2015, 11:51 AM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 02-23-2015, 05:00 AM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 02-21-2015, 09:48 AM