Is there anyway to monitor Wi-Fi data on an iPhone 5 with IOS 8?

nothingworks

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm exceeding my allotted wifi data at home and I'm able to account for all of it other than my daughters IOS device and my iPad. Is there anyway to monitor wifi data on an iPhone 5 with IOS 8? Sorry if this is a silly question but I'm a Blackberry user, not that familiar with IOS diagnostics. Thanks!

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Look at an app named "DataMan". It will track cellular and WiFi data.

20150217_125801000_iOS.png

nothingworks

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Look at an app named "DataMan". It will track cellular and WiFi data.

Thanks, will check it out.

Do you know if this is a 'headless' app? I remember years ago trying to track data usage on an ipod. The app I was using then would show up in the open app list and the user would instinctively close it with the other apps. Like one that doesn't accidentally get closed and stops tracking.

Posted via the iMore App for Android on my BlackBerry

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, will check it out.

Do you know if this is a 'headless' app? I remember years ago trying to track data usage on an ipod. The app I was using then would show up in the open app list and the user would instinctively close it with the other apps. Like one that doesn't accidentally get closed and stops tracking.

As long as you open the app when you restart your phone, it should track fine in the background.

Also, removing apps from the app list in iOS is a bad habbit that you should avoid. This does nothing but reduce the performance of your device, and cause issues with how apps perform. iOS handles apps in and out of memory automatically, making sure you don't run into those kinds of issues. User intervention isn't necessary.

Just FYI, "headless" app is a seldom used term that doesn't actually mean much in the real world anymore. Blackberry uses it to describe apps without a visible UI which would normally be known as services, but Blackberry's apps are far too bloated to be services.

Last edited:

nothingworks

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
As long as you open the app when you restart your phone, it should track fine in the background.

Also, removing apps from the app list in iOS is a bad habbit that you should avoid. This does nothing but reduce the performance of your device, and cause issues with how apps perform. iOS handles apps in and out of memory automatically, making sure you don't run into those kinds of issues. User intervention isn't necessary.

Maybe we are talking about different things? I know I've used the wrong nomenclature before. I asked a friend (big time Apple guy) how to 'Jailbreak' an Android tablet, that didn't go over well LOL.

So, when I hit the home button twice and all those apps show up that I scroll through sideways, you just leave all of them there? Flicking up on these to close I should avoid? Wouldn't multitasking be difficult with all that clutter on the screen? When my Daughter is done with an app she closes it. It's second nature for her to close apps when she is done, this would pose a problem if it needed to be there to monitor wifi.
Anyway, I'll try out that app

Just FYI, "headless" app is a seldom used term that doesn't actually mean much in the real world anymore. Blackberry uses it to describe apps without a visible UI which would normally be known as services, but Blackberry's apps are far too bloated to be services.

My biggest 'headless' app on my phone only occupies 3MB out of the 2G ram and <0.1% of CPU. Not an expert but it doesn't seem 'bloated'.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Maybe we are talking about different things? I know I've used the wrong nomenclature before. I asked a friend (big time Apple guy) how to 'Jailbreak' an Android tablet, that didn't go over well LOL.

So, when I hit the home button twice and all those apps show up that I scroll through sideways, you just leave all of them there? Flicking up on these to close I should avoid? Wouldn't multitasking be difficult with all that clutter on the screen? When my Daughter is done with an app she closes it. It's second nature for her to close apps when she is done, this would pose a problem if it needed to be there to monitor wifi.
Anyway, I'll try out that app

That app screen is just a task switcher. It doesn't actually tell you whether apps are running or not. Your use case is the reason they even allow you to "close" them, because you want to declutter the recently used apps. A poster above said it was safe to close the monitoring apps though, so this might be a recent change in iOS.

My biggest 'headless' app on my phone only occupies 3MB out of the 2G ram and <0.1% of CPU. Not an expert but it doesn't seem 'bloated'.

Idle CPU usage means nothing, nor does idle RAM usage.

These are almost always chunks of bigger apps which were never meant to behave in the background.

nothingworks

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
It will track the data just fine without you "opening" it or "having it in the background".

Wow, just wow! Looks like my daughter is using 1.5G of data a day so far (Only a two day sample). The app works great, just wish it was a little more detailed. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2401(1).jpg
    IMG_2401(1).jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 321

nothingworks

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
That app screen is just a task switcher. It doesn't actually tell you whether apps are running or not. Your use case is the reason they even allow you to "close" them, because you want to declutter the recently used apps. A poster above said it was safe to close the monitoring apps though, so this might be a recent change in iOS.
Well as the other poster said the app is working even when I "close" it on the 'task switcher'. Mind you the first time I closed the app it gave a warning that if I closed it, it may not be able to 'background refresh'? Maybe only important for notifications, but I don't need that anyway.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Well as the other poster said the app is working even when I "close" it on the 'task switcher'. Mind you the first time I closed the app it gave a warning that if I closed it, it may not be able to 'background refresh'? Maybe only important for notifications, but I don't need that anyway.

Yup, I'm thinking they must have fixed this in iOS8. When background refresh was introduced in iOS7 there were some issues with refreshing closed apps, but glad to see that they seem to have fixed it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2