Why are the photos that were uploaded from my iCloud Photo Library gone after I enabled My Photo Stream?

I

iMore Question

The photos that were uploaded iCloud Photo Library are GONE after I enabled My Photo Stream.

I have an iPhone 5, iOS version 8.1.3. I pay $.99/mo for iCloud storage. My photos were backing up seamlessly to the cloud when on wireless using iCloud Photo Library (Beta). For some reason, I decided to turn on My Photo Stream. I deleted some photos from my phone to free up space, and those photos are now gone from the cloud and all that is there is what is on my phone now. Did My Photo Stream preempt iCloud Photo Library? Thanks in advance.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: The photos that were uploaded iCloud Photo Library are GONE after I enabled My Photo Stream.

Icloud is a bit confusing. Did you turn off iCloud Drive?

miawtf

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: The photos that were uploaded iCloud Photo Library are GONE after I enabled My Photo Stream.

No I had not turned off iCloud drive. thanks!

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

When you turned it off did it tell you the photos would be deleted from your phone?

miawtf

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site

No it didn't. It really should only allow you to choose either the cloud or the stream. It did not warn me of anything. :(

miawtf

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site

Well, they stayed on the phone, but stream overwrote what was in the cloud, so that's what got deleted. I deleted from the phone thinking everything had already been uploaded to the cloud, before I added the stream option. Does that make sense?

miawtf

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site

Well, get this. I turned of stream and the photos are back in the cloud! Definitely a faulty feature though. Thanks for your help. Stream for me is useless.