How to use search criteria like 'from' , 'to', or 'subject' in mail of iPhone?

I

iMore Question

How to use search criteria like 'from' , 'to', or 'subject' in mail of iPhone

I am using iPhone with OS 8. While using 'search' within mail in this OS, I realized that filters like 'from', 'To' or 'Subject' are not available. Example - if I want to search a mail from Bill, I can enter 'Bill' in search criteria but then it will display all emails whether they are from Bill or sent by someone else to Bill ( where I am also marked ) or where subject or body of the email contains 'Bill'.

How do I add these filters to search ? I have an iPad which is on OS6, and it has these filters right below search window. I checked with few having iPad air on OS 7, they also seem to be missing on filters in email.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How to use search criteria like 'from' , 'to', or 'subject' in mail of iPhone

I don't think the feature exist. All I can find with the native Mail app is search "all mailboxes" or "current mailbox".

elysch

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: How to use search criteria like 'from' , 'to', or 'subject' in mail of iPhone

I think they made it better with iOS9.

When you enter, in the search box of the Mail App, a regular search term (i.e. "iTunes") it shows tree sections before pressing the keyboard "Search" button.

• Search for "iTunes"
  • People (lists people with the name iTunes in the contact
  • Subjects (emails with iTunes in the subject line)

If you entar a word like "yesterday", "day", "week" or "month", it shows also another section called "Dates":

• Search for "Day"
  • People (lists people with the name "Day" in the contact
  • Subjects (emails with "Day" in the subject line)
  • Dates (shows some options like "Previous Day", "Past Day", "Last Day")

If the mail you're looking for happens to be right there in the "Subjects" section, great. You found it.
But if it doesn't, you can "TOUCH" any entry to narrow your search. Even the Search for "Day" row. That one gives you all the mails containing that word anywhere (or maybe only in the message's body, not sure).

BUT HERE COMES A TRICK.

After selecting any entry from any section, the search box shows a little box with the selected criteria. Lets say you touched the Search for "Day" entry, so the search box will show a Day/i] blue box.

"TOUCH" that litle blue box, and two options appear:

"TOUCH" any one of those and now you are searching in the subject or the body (or maybe anywhere in the mail) accordingly

If you selected any "People" section entry, when you "TOUCH" the blue box inside the search box, then you are presented with the following options:

• From
  • To
So now you can search by From, To, Subject, Date, etc

One Last Note: You can add some more search critera after the previous one just doing all this again after the blue box shown in the Search Box.

Hope it helps.

P.S: I figured all this out thanks to this message url: discussions.apple.com/message/28950338#28950338

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods