Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By warcraftWidow
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

1 Posts

Default Family Sharing Questions

Ok, so I have been trying to get some answers to family sharing with Yosemite and various iOS devices. I either can't find the answers or people attack me for wanting something different from what Apple appears to be giving me. Here is my situation...

I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad Air, my wife has an iPhone 5 (she will also be getting an iPad soon as well) and each of my kids have an iPad mini (the older one is getting to a point where he will be asking for an iPhone soon). I have an iMac, my wife and I share a MacBook Pro and my kids share an older iMac.

Up to now all these devices have been on my iTunes account for a few reasons. We all share the same apps, we all share the same calendars (each person in the family has a calendar and this way everyone knows what is going on), we all share the same contacts, and the main computer for syncing all these devices is my iMac.

I have no issues with everyone having a separate iTunes account. I just don't see the need to have 4 copies of the iTunes library on my computer, 4 separate versions of the contacts, 4 separate versions of the calendars, and 4 different logons to my iMac.

I also don't want all my messages and phone calls showing up on my MacBook Pro and my kids iMac as well as my iMac. My wife doesn't need to be in a meeting and have her iPhone ring or beep because someone was calling or messaging me on my iPhone or vice versa. It just seems silly to me.

Can I share the same iTunes library (music, movies and apps), all the different calendars we have and the contact list between all my devices if we all have different iTunes accounts without setting up multiple versions of everything?

Can I turn off Continuity on all my devices so SMS and calls aren't going everywhere (If each person had their own iMac/MacBook or if you are a single person Continuity would seem to work quite well however Continuity in its current form does not work very well for my family.)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
    iMore Genius

20,845 Posts

Default Re: Family Sharing Questions

Read any of this? iCloud - Family Sharing - Apple Support

See if that answers any of your questions...

Default Re: Family Sharing Questions

Recommended setup would be for each person to have their own Apple ID. This Apple ID would be used to log into iCloud, messages, FaceTime. iCloud could include mail, contacts, calendar, backups, etc. Having separate Apple IDs for each member would prevent the handoff and continuity issues or your messages or calls going to your wife's phone. If you don't want the shared Macs getting the messages, you don't have to turn on sharing of sms messages with the Mac. This has nothing to do with Family Sharing. Each person would end up with separate contact lists and their own calendars but you can still share those calendars even without Family Sharing. As far as I know you could still have 1 iTunes library on the Mac. I never bother syncing my devices with my Mac anymore but I think it should be fine.
    What Family Sharing adds is 1) a calendar automatically shared with all family members, but nothing is stopping you from sharing other calendars as well, 2) a shared family PhotoStream but photos don't automatically go there, each person can decide which photos to share, and 3) shared iTunes/AppStore purchases, this is where in addition to be logged into iCloud separately, each person would be logged into iTunes/AppStore with their unique Apple ID as well.
    Ledsteplin likes this.