My iPhone 5 is stuck in DFU mode, how do I get it out of it?

I

iMore Question

iPhone 5 stuck in DFU mode

Have an iPhone 5 here. Seems to be stuck in DFU mode. Connected to iTunes, tried to restore it maybe 20 times, with 3 different firmwares. Same result.
It comes on and sticks at this screen

Then I get an error either it's 4103,4104, 3004. It went in to soft DFU a couple times. Tried like 7 softwares that said it would take it out of DFU mode. None worked. Left it overnight charging but nothing seems to work. Trying to restore it as I type this.

What do you think is wrong?

gillibyte

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5 stuck in DFU mode

This is my post BTW. Here is a photo of the screen...

1zod9c5.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

First of all, you should not need special software to get your device out of DFU mode. I've done it numerous times by simply pressing and holding both the home and power buttons simultaneously for about 6 seconds or so. Afterwards, the device boots into my homescreen. Being that you said you attempted to restore your device approximately 20 times with 3 different firmware versions, maybe you did screw something up. Are you certain the iPhone is charged? Try turning the device OFF. Also, try doing what I stated earlier about pressing and holding the power and home buttons for about 6 seconds. The device *should* reboot. If so, allow it to either go into recovery mode or see if it will boot to your homescreen, provided the previous iOS installation is still installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gillibyte

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site

Tried that too. The PC recognizes it when it turns off and on. I'm just seeing nothing on the screen until iTunes tries to restore it and I get the white screen with Apple logo and the progress bar doesn't move, like the pic above.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

AppleStore GeniusBars have some things they can do that might fix it...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Tried that too. The PC recognizes it when it turns off and on. I'm just seeing nothing on the screen until iTunes tries to restore it and I get the white screen with Apple logo and the progress bar doesn't move, like the pic above.

It's possible that you have a bad ipsw file. It happens on occasion. Anyway, locate the file on your PC and send it to the trashbin. Afterwards, put the device in DFU mode, and have iTunes download and install a fresh copy of the latest iOS version for your device.