Why does my iPhone turn off when I still have battery life remaining?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: My iPhone Turns Off When I Still Have Battery Life Remaining

You just need a new battery. They're about $80.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE

The Apple store was a good experience. The Genius that worked with me was really friendly and smart! He ran a test and it showed the battery was in poor health, consumed. Informed me of this and thy it would be $80 to replace. No problem. He went in the back to get a battery. After e came out he stated that he though it was strange that the battery had died so soon so he opened it to first look at it. Stated that the battery was swollen, no water damage and that my phone would be replaced at no charge. Hooray! He switched SIM cards and I made a test call. All good. Left for home.

I'm an hour away from the store. On the way home, about halfway, the 5c went into searching mode and could not locate a signal. Uh oh. When I got home I called Verizon because that seems like a network issue I though. Verizon had me turn airplane mode on and off, data on and off and reboot the phone. Nothing worked. They checked to make sure the phone imei was current and SIM card. That then had me reset the phone and clear all data and content. Didn't work. They said it may be a bad sim and sent me to the corp store about 40 minutes away.

New sim didn't work ad the Verizon employee told me to return it to apple.

So I called the apple store and will have to go again today. My weekend has been trying to get this pone fixed!

I'm glad I got a replacement though an he showed me where the old phone screen was separating because of the swollen battery.

Wish me luck please!

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Took the "Searching..." iPhone back to the Apple Store. They tried to reload the OS twice, it failed with an error and I was issued a new iPhone 5c. This one works and I'm all restored and good.

Regarding the Swollen Battery issue:
Keep an eye on this issue guys: Swollen Battery! Turns out that's what my iPhone 5c had. Symptoms include battery not holding a charge/discharging quickly, phone shutting off with battery remaining, slight screen raise where the body and screen are lifted, He button will become hard to press because of slight separation, white "aura" on the top left of the screen.

Seems a swollen battery can be caused by heat such as the battery getting too hot while charging. Beware of using non Apple charging cables. If your phone does have a consumed battery and it is found to be swollen at the Apple store, they will replace your phone free of charge.

Last edited:

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: My iPhone Turns Off When I Still Have Battery Life Remaining

My recommendation is for you stop using the aforementioned cable and use one from Apple. If the problem persists, take the device to the nearest Apple Store to have them diagnose the problem for you. If there's a problem, they *may* replace it like they did for Janey's daughter.

I am fairly sure that the cable from Amazon was the culprit. I believe that it was consistently overheating the battery which caused it to swell, which in turn caused the issues mentioned above. I say this because the battery draining issue began three days after I started using that cable. I'm sticking to ape charges now, even though they're very short for my tastes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73