I am considering running on iPad only and eliminating my desktop/laptop system, how can I do this?

I

iMore Question

I am considering running on iPad only and eliminating my desktop/laptop system

What if any major issues or gaps will I discover. For example I understand I would not have full access to my iTunes account, the iPad user experience is different and a bit limiting relative to the laptop experience. This is a bit troublesome but not a deal breaker. Are there other things like this I need to consider?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: I am considering running on iPad only and eliminating my desktop/laptop system

It depends on your needs. Will typing on a virtual keyboard be sufficient, especially for long documents? Will you need a printer and does the iPad support the printer you're using? Are the documents, music, photos or video you access are accessible via a cloud service or are they primarily on a hard drive?

craigan

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Re: I am considering running on iPad only and eliminating my desktop/laptop system

Yes I have considered all that you mention, I am aware of physical differences in processing speeds, screen displays etc. I air print, have cloud storage etc. What I am trying to fully understand is what limitations will I discover after the transition, things that are not so apparent like the use of itunes?

craigan

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

Yes I have content in iTunes not purchased through the store. Going forward I am ok to abandon that practice and only purchase through iTunes. Actually I hardly use the laptop at all for anything other than basic functions. My wife uses it for writing but that can easily be done on the iPad with a keyboard.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

iPad does not have very good data management when used as a solo device. To be honest, if you plan to go this route I would recommend either a Windows tablet or Android tablet. Both Windows and Android have far superior data management options including true file manager support.

Tablets are not very good for multitasking but as single task devices they are fine and can be used for productivity quite well. There are plenty of great office suites for iOS, including iWorks. If you combine it with a keyboard case (I use a HP Stream) and keep iTunes installed on it. You'll only need to power it up when you want to move data around or reorganize it.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

Another option to consider is the Surface Microsoft Surface Tablets - The Windows Tablet That Does More

It has the flexibility and smaller form factor available with tablets, but has the ability to function like a laptop if needed. I believe its possible to install iTunes and you could copy over your non-iTunes content.

If I were faced with the decision to go tablet or desktop/laptop only, I'd go for a Surface type option.

craigan

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

Thanks everyone, some good recommendations here. I really appreciate it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711