Why is my battery life draining so fast?

I

iMore Question

why my battery life is draining too fast?

i am using iphone 5c and upgraded software 8.1.3. I am having problems related to battery drain. My battery was 20% when i put it in charging but after a while i noticed the battery had been 10% though it was put in charging. My phone shuts down as soon as i try using any application even when the battery indicater shows 50% . from 50 % and above i can use it normally. how am i to solve this problem?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: why my battery life is draining too fast?

Make sure you're using Apple supplied or "made for i" accessories for charging... Then periodically let the phone run until it shuts off by itself and allow it to charge undisturbed for several hours... Do this every 3 months or so...

Saukrateaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Make sure you're using Apple supplied or "made for i" accessories for charging... Then periodically let the phone run until it shuts off by itself and allow it to charge undisturbed for several hours... Do this every 3 months or so...

With newer technology batteries it is my understanding that this was exactly what you are NOT suppose to do. Back in the day that was a followed practice but nowadays you're not suppose to let it die at all. The whole fully discharge and recharge thing doesn't apply anymore, not with lithium. There are many threads about this throughout the various smartphone forums. I have also been told this by apple techs.
#5 in the following article is one of many that confirm.
5 Phone Charging Myths, Debunked

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

While it's not necessary for the battery itself, it's not really a harm either... and the process does help iOS accurately reflect the battery's charge/discharge status.

Saukrateaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

While it's not necessary for the battery itself, it's not really a harm either... and the process does help iOS accurately reflect the battery's charge/discharge status.

It does in fact harm the battery. Life cycles are used in lithium technology. Allowing it to get to 1% and then doing a full charge is a better idea than allowing it to die.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

It does in fact harm the battery. Life cycles are used in lithium technology. Allowing it to get to 1% and then doing a full charge is a better idea than allowing it to die.
The iPhone DOES that... the iOS is programmed to shut off BEFORE the battery is fully discharged...

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

The iPhone DOES that... the iOS is programmed to shut off BEFORE the battery is fully discharged...

This is the correct way. The iPhone will actually shut it self down with approx 3/4% battery left. I do this once a month for the last 13 months with my 5s and my battery life is pretty good for a device this "OLD"

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
why my battery life is draining too fast?

Like Keith, I allow my iPhone battery to fully discharge every so often, and I have done that with my iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S and I will continue that practice with my iPhone 6 Plus. I have always had excellent battery life with my iPhones and I attribute that with clean installs and battery conditioning in the manner stated above. Having said that, people can choose to not do as Keith recommended or do as he recommended. Finally, what may be technically correct doesn't mean alternatives methods are harmful, especially when people who have done it over a long period of time can attest to it.

Last edited:

Saukrateaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

different strokes... The technological data can be disputed all day but the facts remain facts, where what others attest to based on their own experience cannot exactly be proven without data to back it up. I get what you guys are saying. I use to let my devices die every now and then as well, however I have stopped that process over the past 2 years or so. I have had a few batteries fail in both idevices and Android devices prior to stopping so when I started researching what I stated above it seemed logical to me. I havent had a single battery issue since. Dont get me wrong, my phone still dies from time to time and I dont sweat it, but I try not to let it happen. The days are over where Nicd batteries had to be "cycled". The OS shuts down before the battery is dead, thats a different story. Is there some documentation available I can read up on that?

Not trying to have a back and forth here, you guys seem to know more about the iphone technology than I do. Im speaking in terms of battery here.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

The battery in my iPhone 5 is starting to drain a bit fast. Bless it's little lithium heart. I've been on my phone almost non stop for 17 months. It does weird things like shutting down at 20% when I take a photo or use FaceTime. Then as soon as I plug it in, it's back to 24%. I've tried the calibrating thing, but that doesn't do much. I'll probably keep this phone when I upgrade in September. So a new battery will be in order soon.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

rosukalu

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
i am having the same problem. i am using iphone 5c. my battery gets fully charged from 10% to 100% in about 45 minutes or less. and drains to 35% in 8 hours though in standby. as soon as i use viber or turn 3g on or use the camera my phone shuts down. the centre button doesnt function properly since few(5/6) days. am i having a battery problem or phone problem?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711