Why is the photo zoomed-in too far when I open it in the Photos app?

I

iMore Question

I just got an iPhone 5 and when I am viewing photos in the photos app, when I click on a photo so that it fills up the screen and I am viewing only that photo, I have to zoom out (by pinching the screen) in order to see the whole photo because the initial view is zoomed in too far. This only happens with vertically oriented photos (portrait) and not horizontal (landscape) ones. Is this a glitch? What can I do to fix this?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Usually a zoom problem is because the zoom feature in Accessibility is on and someone taps the screen in a way to enable the zoom. To unzoom, double tap the screen with 3 fingers. Then go to Settings >General >Accessibility > Toggle off Zoom. But if what you say is true, try what he said. ^^^

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Celidor

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
No one seems to have read OPs post very well. I have the same issue and I can't find anyone talking about it except here. This is not something that a restart or update has ever fixed. It is not some accessibility feature.

When viewing pics in the Photos app if the images are certain aspects they will be zoomed in when you first view them and will have the sides of the image cut off screen. You can zoom out to get the full image but every time you leave and come back to the image it will be zoomed in again.

I have experimented with cropping the problem pics, and it seems like if the image is close to the aspect ratio of your screen it will get zoomed in. As soon as you crop the image To make it further from being the screens aspect ratio it will stop zooming and will have black bars instead.

It is extremely annoying and I fear it is a built in flaw in iOS. But if someone knows a way it could possibly be fixed I would love to hear it.

To finally stop it from auto zooming images it considers "close enough" to the screens aspect ratio that it should fill the screen, cutting of edges and details that the phone deems to be irrelevant. And give me more control of my device. Would be nice.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
No one seems to have read OPs post very well. I have the same issue and I can't find anyone talking about it except here. This is not something that a restart or update has ever fixed. It is not some accessibility feature.

When viewing pics in the Photos app if the images are certain aspects they will be zoomed in when you first view them and will have the sides of the image cut off screen. You can zoom out to get the full image but every time you leave and come back to the image it will be zoomed in again.

I have experimented with cropping the problem pics, and it seems like if the image is close to the aspect ratio of your screen it will get zoomed in. As soon as you crop the image To make it further from being the screens aspect ratio it will stop zooming and will have black bars instead.

It is extremely annoying and I fear it is a built in flaw in iOS. But if someone knows a way it could possibly be fixed I would love to hear it.

To finally stop it from auto zooming images it considers "close enough" to the screens aspect ratio that it should fill the screen, cutting of edges and details that the phone deems to be irrelevant. And give me more control of my device. Would be nice.

I'm not sure it's that nobody has read OP's post very well. It's just not something they have heard of so they're offering suggestions to try. Your best bet is to visit www.apple.com/feedback and let them know about the issue. You could also try contacting Apple Support.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I've never experienced that issue and this is the first time I've heard about it. I would also recommend checking out Apple's site, if that doesn't work, if you live close enough to an Apple Store maybe make an appointment.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2