Why am I seeing hundreds of repeated entries when starting a new message to someone in messages?

I

iMore Question

Whenever I go to start a new message to someone, as I type in their name it takes a while to get any suggestions underneath. Once I finally do I will get several suggestions to send it as a group message but the group consists of that person's name repeated hundreds of times.

I have tried force quitting messages, restarting AND hard-resetting my phone.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Which version of iOS are you running on your iPhone? (And I'm assuming you're using the built-in messages app?)

I've tried entering a bunch of different names and I'm not getting the same result. Anyone else?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Try the following:

Sign out of iMessage, wait a few seconds, and then sign back in.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Does this happen with all name entries, or just one? You can delete the suggestions if they have a circled i. The others are contacts. I've never seen this. I would put all my contacts on a vCard in an email. Then delete them all from contacts. Then Toggle iMessage off, sign out, sign back in. Toggle back on. Use the vCard in email to put contacts back.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

scharfat

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
It's more than just one contact and most of them have the circled i so I will try to delete but that could be annoying to do for every contact.. Hmm

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you by chance have multiple email accounts configured and do those accounts have the same or at least some of the same contact information? If so, go to the Mail settings and disable the toggle next to "Contacts" for all of your accounts except one.

scharfat

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1421522599.485056.jpg just for reference here is what I'm seeing. I did Ledsteplin's recommendation of deleting them and it seems like that's working. I've gone through and cleared the suggestions appearing for my most talked to contacts. After trying some of less used names they don't seem to be affected as often (most not at all). Weird issue but it seems like I at least have a way to handle it now.

leo88777

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Did you ever figure out what caused this? I am seeing this now and this thread is the only other instance I can find of it occurring anywhere else.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro