Why isn't the built-in dictionary not working?

I

iMore Question

When I press. "Define" to get the meaning of a word, it isn't working.
It says it is not available

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: My "define" isn't working

welcome to iMore,
since iOS7 *I believe* you're required to download the dictionaries first. Next time you want to define a word, click define and then below 'not available' it should say 'manage' in one of the bottom corners of that window. You can then touch and download the dictionaries you'd like to have at your disposal. Usually the 'Apple Dictionary' should cut it, but you can also add more (languages). Once downloaded it'll be able to define words.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: My "define" isn't working

welcome to iMore,
since iOS7 *I believe* you're required to download the dictionaries first. Next time you want to define a word, click define and then below 'not available' it should say 'manage' in one of the bottom corners of that window. You can then touch and download the dictionaries you'd like to have at your disposal. Usually the 'Apple Dictionary' should cut it, but you can also add more (languages). Once downloaded it'll be able to define words.
That's true for when you're using the keyboard. But if you're on reading material like a news article it doesn't work. For example on your comment, I highlighted a word to define. But when I tap "Define", it does nothing. That has to be a bug, because it used to work. Here's what I mean.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420577695.889413.jpg

Tapping "define" did nothing.

Sent from CrapaTalk on my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner