iMac Vs Macbook +27inch display
Hi. I need to buy a new computer. My primary use will be photo storage and editing using Adobe Lightroom.
I have never used an Apple product of any kind but like what I've read.
Had almost decided to buy a Macbook Pro but then someone told me the screen size is measured diagonally and therefore is smaller than I thought! (Yep, I don't know much!)
Would I be better to buy an iMac or still get a Macbook Pro and connect it to a 27inch display when at home?
I have not had a laptop/notebook before. Portability is not really something I need. It would just be nice occasionally!
Budget is not my primary concern. I'm happy to pay for the best solution.
Thanks in advance.
- 12-28-2014, 05:30 PM #2Banned
- 8,230 Posts
Re: iMac Vs Macbook +27inch display
All screens whether laptops or TVs or phones are measured diagonally. So Apple is just following the standard there.
As for the absolute best for photography and editing, that would probably be the retina iMac 27" released last fall. I've seen it at an Apple Store and it is beautiful. And 5K resolution but baseline model starts at $2500.
If you already have an available 27" screen at home, I would go for the retina MacBook Pro 15". That should give you a great screen and 15" should be sufficient for Lightroom if you are traveling. The screen is only 15" but it is every bit as beautiful as the retina iMac. And you can connect your existing 27" screen to have more space.
For either of those, since money is not an object, upgrade to at least 16GB of RAM (default is 8GB). Processor speed is less important, but if you have the money, upgrade that as well.
- By sting7k in forum OS X Yosemite (10.10)Replies: 1Last Post: 03-28-2015, 11:07 AM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 12-28-2014, 03:20 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 12-28-2014, 12:23 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 11Last Post: 12-28-2014, 07:59 AM
- By dboifresh24 in forum iPad AirReplies: 2Last Post: 12-27-2014, 09:07 AM