How can I prove to Apple that I am an adult if I have a 'debit' card not a 'credit' card?

I

iMore Question

I am setting up a new iPad for my daughter, and an apple id for her, also family sharing.
All is fine except for the fact that I dont use credit, but a debit card for my iTunes account. Apple needs to know that I am an adult. And to do so they need a Credit card. Is there a work around?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: how to prove I am an adult to Apple if I have a 'debit' card not a 'credit' card

Just enter the debit card as you would a credit card... bank debit cards are useable as a credit card in these situations.

toddprouty

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
This is not correct. Apple actually requires that you use a credit card rather than a debit card in order to set up a child account for Family Sharing (there are related threads on discussions.apple.com but I'm not able to add links here). I just attempted this. It's frustrating because our family tries to avoid using a credit card. As the linked thread points out, you can't (currently) just use the credit card for verification purposes, you must use it as your method of payment on an ongoing basis. Apple doesn't allow multiple cards to be added.

I also noticed that if you try to change your account in the OS X preference panel for iCloud, this warning is displayed:

Monosnap 2015-04-11 08-28-44.png

So Apple requires you to pay with a credit card in order to share purchases, but if you switch to one you won't be able to share purchases for 3 months. :yes: :yes: Well done, Apple. :rotfl:

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Maybe buying one of those pre-paid credit cards will work. Or a visa gift card.
I know it's not convenient, but maybe it can be used to work around that.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I have my debit card in my account and have never had an issue. Been like that for a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2