What is a good 2014 MacBook Pro 13 base model 120 GB or 2014 MacBook Air for mild Photoshop use?

I

iMore Question

2014 MacBook Pro 13 base model 120 GB or 2014 MacBook Air for mild Photoshop use

Hi everyone:

I am a college senior about to enter the advertising industry and want to get a Mac as it is the industry standard in the ad world and to brush up on my Photoshop skills. I am looking for a mac computer priced between $1,000-$1,500 with education discount. Please let me know what you think would be an acceptable comp for basic photo shop and Imovie editing. The primary use of this computer will be word docs and watching Netflix etc. very low use programs. Please let me know what builds would be best for this very moderate PS use. Thank you in advance for your help!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: 2014 MacBook Pro 13 base model 120 GB or 2014 MacBook Air for mild Photoshop use

Get the one with specs the most RAM, then fastest processor, followed by most HD storage your budget allows.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: 2014 MacBook Pro 13 base model 120 GB or 2014 MacBook Air for mild Photoshop use

Get the one with specs the most RAM, then fastest processor, followed by most HD storage your budget allows.

Processor over RAM, always. You can upgrade RAM. It's easier to buy a new computer than to upgrade the processor. In fact, when I buy a computer, I make a point to not buy one with the flash storage Apple is using lately. I find the one I want. I drop the HDD and RAM to the lowest possible settings. It's cheaper to buy the HDD and RAM you want than it is to upgrade either. When you take the slight price deduction and add it to the savings from upgrading yourself, it's almost always a better bet to do things this way.

Honestly, I'd take a serious look at screen real estate if your primary purpose is graphical. It's much more enjoyable to work with Photoshop when you're seeing more than just a small image. If nothing else, I'd consider the potential to expand to a larger monitor at a later date for when you're at the house and wanting to have the larger screen to work with. It's possible you already have a TV that can serve this purpose.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Both of the models the OP was enquiring about do not have user upgradeable RAM. You have to go back to a 2012 MacBook Pro (non retina) to get a Mac laptop that doesn't have RAM soldered to the motherboard. So in this case, I would definitely prioritize RAM over CPU.
Precisely why I answered as I did... :)

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Both of the models the OP was enquiring about do not have user upgradeable RAM. You have to go back to a 2012 MacBook Pro (non retina) to get a Mac laptop that doesn't have RAM soldered to the motherboard. So in this case, I would definitely prioritize RAM over CPU.

I might be in the market for a new iMac in the next few months. Do you think 8gigs of ram is enough or would you go for more? Most of the refurbished models in the outlet only go to 8

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

What size iMac? The 21" doesn't have user upgradeable RAM but the 27" does. So I'd probably try to get 16GB if you want a 21", but not worry about it on the 27" because you can easily do it yourself later.

I was thinking 21 but given that I may be better to get the larger. Cheaper to upgrade memory after probably

Sent from my iPhone 6 finally!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Definitely. The RAM on the 27" is easily replaceable by a simple back compartment panel. If I remember correctly the 21" would require something like removal of the entire screen and can't be done without voiding the warranty.

I have to take a look at the 27 in the store. Not sure I have room for it lol. I think it will be a summer purchase.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Avert your eyes from the retina iMac or you'll be wanting one of them.

I know... Maybe they will have refurbs by the summer lol.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner