Why can't I get Microsoft's Remote Desktop app for iOS to connect to my PC?

Ed Boland

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, the title says it all really. I just got my new iPad Air 2 and have been trying to get the Remote Desktop app to connect to either one of my PCs, but no luck at all.. Keep getting the error message "We couldn't connect to the remote PC. Make sure it's turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled.. "

Of course I've made sure it's enabled, if it helps, I can connect using the Remote Desktop app for Windows Phone on my Nokia 1520 just fine. This iOS version just will not connect for some reason... Any ideas?

I can't get it to work on my GF's iPhone 5 either... Typed the PC name in correctly.. the username and password correctly also.

I really want to get this working on my iPad Air2 though..

Help?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had this before. Have you tris the IP address instead of the computer name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Boland

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I assume the PC and iPad are or the same network?
Yes, everything's on the same network.
I have had this before. Have you tris the IP address instead of the computer name.

Tried that too. On two different PCs, both of which the Remote Desktop client app on my 1520 connects to instantly. One PC is my desktop with Win7 ultimate 64bit, and the other a laptop with Win8.1 Pro. The iOS version of the RD app on my iPad Air 2 cant connect to either one.

There aren't any settings on the iPad I need to change?

Ed Boland

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Any other ideas? I also had the RD client app on my Surface 2 (RT) working no problem before I sold it. I just put in the computer name and my username and password.. And it connected! I have no idea what the problem is with my Apple devices. :(

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, everything's on the same network.

Tried that too. On two different PCs, both of which the Remote Desktop client app on my 1520 connects to instantly. One PC is my desktop with Win7 ultimate 64bit, and the other a laptop with Win8.1 Pro. The iOS version of the RD app on my iPad Air 2 cant connect to either one.

There aren't any settings on the iPad I need to change?

Not that I can think of. We use a VPN and usually the problem is the password on the remote PC or the remote on the PC is off.