how to remove an iPhone 4S from a previous user's account
Hi guys, Ed here, fellow ambassador over at Windows Central.
Here's my question, as I haven't used iTunes or an iPhone in a few years, obviously things have changed quite a bit.
I bought an iPhone 4S from this girl at work who recently bought it from someone else. The phone is evidently tied to the original owners "find my iphone/icloud/whatever account". I tried restoring the phone with iTunes, but upon initail setup, it still needs the original owner's username and password (for the sim card I guess??) to proceed. We contacted the original owner.. and he doesn't know the password (or has forgotten it?).
So my question is, is there any hope that this iPhone 4S will be anything more than a paperweight? I only paid $50 for it, so it's really no big loss. I was just going to use it as an ipod/wifi only device.. Y'know, an iOS device to check out all the apps we're missing on the other side of the tracks..
Thoughts? Thanks in advance...
- 12-20-2014, 12:58 PM #2
- 12-20-2014, 01:29 PM #4iMore Genius
- 3,160 Posts
- 12-20-2014, 01:38 PM #6
- 12-20-2014, 01:54 PM #8
Re: how to remove an iPhone 4S from a previous user's account
No problem. I told the girl she should get her money back from the guy she bought it from.. and I told her I bet when she asks for her money back, the guy might suddenly "remember " how to log into his itunes/icloud account. If he forgot his password, isn't it as simple as clicking on "forgot my password" and getting a password reset via email?
- 12-20-2014, 03:11 PM #10
- By Jamie Wooten in forum Marketplace ArchiveReplies: 11Last Post: 12-22-2014, 12:04 AM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 12-20-2014, 01:02 PM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 12-20-2014, 12:44 PM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 12-20-2014, 12:30 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 0Last Post: 12-20-2014, 10:39 AM