Quick-charging an iPhone?

I

iMore Question

I have an iPhone 5S (not tempted to get a 6). A friend told me that if I turn the Airplane Mode on when charging, it'll take half the time to charge. Now, he tells me that this technique will shorten battery life.

Is either of these internet "facts" true?

Phredd

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, putting it in airplane mode will make it charge faster as there's less of a draw on the battery in airplane mode than when not... As to shortening battery life? Jury is out... Batteries have a finite number of charge cycles no matter how fast they're charged... I wouldn't do it all the time... Just when I need to get it up to charge while not needing to use it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It does charge faster. But half the time? I haven't noticed it charging that much faster. But I've only done it a few times.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I've read somewhere it only charges 2-3% faster.. There is no significant difference in charging in airplane mode

Namdnas78

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Just use a higher amperage charger, like the one used for iPad. It will charge your phone twice as fast. Also, the chipset in the charging port of the 6 and 6 Plus actually benefits from the higher amperage chargers. It's all I use. My iPhone 6 Plus goes from less than 10% battery to 100% in just 2.5 hours - without doing anything special or using Airplane mode.

leepierre

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I use the iPad's charger and my 6 goes from 0-100% in less than 2 hours. How would putting your phone in airplane mode while charging shorten your battery life?

Last edited:

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Yup I bought an ipad charger at the Apple store for 20. Charges really quickly plus I use it with my macs extention cord. I'd say it takes half the time that way.