Why won't my iMac 17 Boot?

I

iMore Question

Imac 17" Wont Boot

I found an old imac 17" and I am trying to get it to work. When I first turned it on it gave me the option to sign in with a password through the original user or Admin. obviously I don't have the password since I found it. after it being like that for weeks I developed the courage to try restoring it. before doing anything I restart it to watch what it does when it reboots so I can become more familiar with how it operates before I make an attempt to restore. well when I did that I can no longer get it to boot. i'm seeing everywhere on google and such that it is a common problem for it to get to the apple logo with the spinning wheel. after doing some research I have seen tricks like holding the option key with the power on button or holding command and R to try to gain access to the disk utility. well I have no way of getting to the disk utility. I saw on youtube that when the guy held the option and power button, he had two hard drives to choose from, I have one. when I click on it, It goes to the apple logo with the spinning wheel again and itll do that for days. So what do I do to get past this? how can I get this to boot or get to the disk utility or do anything to make this thing work. Thank you so much for all of your help.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Imac 17" Wont Boot

You can try booting it from a system disk either Mac OS Tiger or maybe Mac OS Leopard. Research and find out the highest OS it will take. If you can get your hands on a OS disk you can put the disk in start the computer while holding the letter C key. The computer should then boot from the system disk and you could reinstall the system software.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro