Folders on MacBook Air

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, when I go into Finder and create a folder for my apps.
If I pull the apps out of the folder I create. The folder does not disappear, nor am I able to delete the folder either. Thanks

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps a reboot will free up any residual application files/processes that are associated with the folder?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, when I go into Finder and create a folder for my apps.
If I pull the apps out of the folder I create. The folder does not disappear, nor am I able to delete the folder either. Thanks

In OS X you can have empty folders. So simply deleting the contents of the folder (either by deleting the contents or moving them out of the folder) will not cause the folder to be deleted/removed, as it is in iOS.

As far as not being able to delete the folder, what kind of error message(s) do you get?

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello Hank, I do not get an error message. If I try to drag the empty folder to the trash bin, it jumps back out. You

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
No, the folder I create is similar to creating a folder on your iPhone.
The one mistake I made, I was creating a folder within Launchpad, not Finder.

Last edited:

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I see. I didn't know that was possible in Launchpad (haven't used it much). Just created a folder by dragging on app on top of another, and Launchpad dynamically/automatically created a new folder similar to how it happens in iOS. I kept the default name given to the folder (Utilities). Closed the folder, opened it, then dragged each app back out of the folder. There were just two apps. Soon as I dragged out the 2nd app, the Utilities folder automatically disappeared and my Launchpad and the apps were back as before prior to creating the Utilities folder per the process above.

So, if your folder is still there in Launchpad you could try to drag just one app that's not in a folder to the empty folder. Close the folder, open it, then drag the app back out. Maybe that will then automatically delete the folder?

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I apologize for not explaining myself better. But that is exactly what I did.
Yet the folders would eventually reappear again. I appreciate your efforts with trying to help, I will just live with it.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong. I copied and pasted those commands in Terminal. It did not work, I don't use LaunchPad that much myself.
I will await a fix from Apple in the next update to Yosemite.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711