How can I erase my iPhone without using a passcode that I don't recall?

I

iMore Question

I want 2 erase my iphone but cannot because I do not know the passcode. HELP

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's asking for a passcode because the iCloud activation lock has been enabled for it. If you cannot recall the passcode or reset the passcode via the lost passcode feature via the iCloud website then there's nothing we can do for you. Even if you reset your device, you will not be able to use it until you enter the passcode.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Using DFU mode will to allow you to bypass the 4-digit passcode (or more complex code, if you set that up), but if there is an activation lock enabled on the device, there is NO way around that. You will be required to enter the iCloud password to wipe/restore the device.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
You only have to remember one password. The passcode is simply for unlocking the device and it can be removed by putting it it into the DFU mode.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
IMHO requiring people 2 remember 2 passwords and their passcode is poor design. This results in more e-waste.

You can easily go into the iPhone settings and disable the password feature. In addition, you can also disable the iCloud Activation Lock by disabling the Find My iPhone option in the iCloud settings so having a passcode is not required, but is highly recommended. Unfortunately, there’s a good deal of society who do not have any problems stealing or using items that don’t belong to them.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
IMHO requiring people 2 remember 2 passwords and their passcode is poor design. This results in more e-waste.

Well if you can't remember 2 passwords and 1 passcode then maybe you shouldn't be using a smartphone.....or an email address......or the internet for that matter.

But as the D-man already stated, we (iMore) can't help you remember/recall your passcode or password.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
My whole point is if you have forgotten the passcode you can't do that!

So how, exactly, do you forget your passcode? You're using the device daily....hourly.....secondly. You're going to forget your passcode if you don't type it every 30 seconds?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
So how, exactly, do you forget your passcode? You're using the device daily....hourly.....secondly. You're going to forget your passcode if you don't type it every 30 seconds?

I agree. What is the point of a password, if no one would need to remember it?

Last edited: