How can I restore a 200 GB Time Machine backup to a 100 GB HD?
I am soon to get the new mac book retina for myself and will be selling my old black mac-book. There are two issues:
1. The Time machine backup is from an older OS i.e. 10.5.8 Tiger and my new Macbook is running Mavericks right now.
2. The Time machine backup is about 200 GB while the HD space in the new laptop is about 100 GB. What tough decisions will I have to make here?
Looking forward to your reply,
Last edited by Speedygi; 11-19-2014 at 06:00 AM. Reason: removed email address
- 11-19-2014, 10:18 AM #2
- 38,453 Posts
re: How can I restore a 200 GB Time Machine backup to a 100 GB HD?
Okay, I'll bite. You cannot restore 200 GB of data to a machine that has only 100 GB of available space. What do YOU think you need to do to solve this dilemma?
- Set up your new laptop as a new device and download only the Apps you need.
- Buy a larger size HD and install it into your new laptop prior to restoring from your Time Machine backup.
- Create a Time Machine backup of the device that is currently running Mavericks and then use it to restore to the rMBP you're planning to purchase.
- Whatever YOU feel YOU need to do for your own benefit.
I recommend "4"...
- By jemlu in forum iOS 8Replies: 2Last Post: 11-20-2014, 08:47 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 11-19-2014, 09:44 AM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 11-19-2014, 09:12 AM
- By johnmscan in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 11-19-2014, 09:07 AM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 11-19-2014, 08:30 AM