Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zerog46
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Is power cycling outdated?

I've been that you must power cycle your devices. I've always allowed my iPhones and MacBooks to be fully charged, careful to not let still plugged at 100% for long and let it drain all the way to 10% or less before I plugged it in and I made sure not to unplug before it his 100%. A number years later now, I am still in that habit with my iPhone 6 plus and MacBook Air and received some laughs in regards to my habit. Do modern day batteries still require this practice? Is plugging it in and leaving it plugged in healthy for the battery?
    iMore Genius

4,495 Posts

Default Is power cycling outdated?

From what I have read it's actually bad to let your battery fully discharge.

Some people still say to do it but if you check reputable places they say it's bad for the newer batteries.

And leaving it plugged in is fine. The phone and charger won't let it over charge. That's why once and a while you take your phone off the charger and it might be at 98%. It constantly charges and discharges to protect the battery.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    taz323 likes this.