Can I move my iPhotos and iTunes libraries to an external hard drive to make space on my Mac?

kreuzn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
My iMac's internal hard drive is almost full

Tonight I tried to update my iPads iOS to 8, by connecting it to my Mac. It was while the updating was happening that I got a warning message saying my Mac's internal hard drive was almost full. I deleted the trash (not much in it) and some apps that I wasn't using, but the warning messages soon changed to advise that there was no space left on the internal drive.
Can I move both my iPhoto & iTunes library to an external drive? I've found instructions online how to move either library, but none about moving them both.
I am reluctant to attempt to move them, without first knowing if it's possible. I will back up my Mac first, but want to know if it's ok to move both libraries to an external drive.
Thanks

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: My iMac's internal hard drive is almost full

Would moving one or the other free up enough space? Might be the easiest path.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

Yes I have my whole iTunes library on an external drive, well I should say I did. Now with iTunes Match I just have iTunes the program on my Mac and everything is now in the cloud or Onedrive.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Tonight I tried to update my iPads iOS to 8, by connecting it to my Mac. It was while the updating was happening that I got a warning message saying my Mac's internal hard drive was almost full. I deleted the trash (not much in it) and some apps that I wasn't using, but the warning messages soon changed to advise that there was no space left on the internal drive.
Can I move both my iPhoto & iTunes library to an external drive? I've found instructions online how to move either library, but none about moving them both.
I am reluctant to attempt to move them, without first knowing if it's possible. I will back up my Mac first, but want to know if it's ok to move both libraries to an external drive.
Thanks

Yes, you can move them both. Just do the move in two steps - move the iTunes library first, and then the iPhoto library. Just because there aren?t instructions for moving "both" doesn?t mean that moving one or the other would somehow preclude you from moving the other after the first move is done.

kreuzn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help.
I'm off to buy an external drive. I'll start with iTunes library, & if needed I'll move photos too.
Cheers :)

kreuzn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

So I've bought a hard drive, which requires reformatting to be used on my Mac. I'm trying to do this in disc utility but every time I try I get an error message saying unable to unmount the hard drive. Would anyone know why? I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure this out

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

Not off hand. You don't have any password protected software in there correct?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

kreuzn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

Well, I figured it out - I restarted the Mac. No idea why that worked, but it did. My iTunes library is currently being moved.
Grateful for the assistance :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro